Nintendo 2DS vs 3DS
2.0
  • When the Nintendo 3DS first came out, I thought it was just going to be a worthless, gimmicky handheld
  • Playing Ocarina of Time was amazing on the 2DS as on the 3DS
  • I think this will make the system stronger, as the hinge was the part that tended to break first on the original DS systems
  • If you want to take the 2DS on-the-go, I recommend putting it in its carrying case and then in a backpack/purse
  • However, I was happy with the actual buttons, which felt identical to the original system

• by Tim Ertol

When the Nintendo 3DS first came out, I thought it was just going to be a worthless, gimmicky handheld. However, after playing “The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time” remake for the 3DS (a game I loved on the N64), I was hooked. The 3DS’s hardware was greatly improved over the original Nintendo DS, allowing for much better graphics. But, because the 3D feature gave me headaches, I didn’t buy the 3DS. Even though I could turn 3D off on the 3DS, I felt like I would be wasting money if I didn’t use the feature. When the 2DS came along at a much lower price ($125 vs. $190 for the 3DS), I felt like it was a system built just for me, so I bought it

right away.

Now, because the Nintendo 2DS has the same CPU and GPU as the 3DS, I wasn’t surprised that the two systems performed just as well in games. Playing Ocarina of Time was amazing on the 2DS as on the 3DS. I also love that the system can play regular DS games in addition to 3DS games because backwards-compatibility is a feature that many consoles (PS Vita, PS3, XBOX 360, etc) don’t have.

While the Nintendo 2DS and 3DS are similar internally, the outer hardware is quite different. Rather than re-releasing the 3DS without the 3D feature, Nintendo chose to completely redesign the system. That was a choice I don’t agree with.

First of all, there was no hinge mechanism to fold up the 2DS. I

think this will make the system stronger, as the hinge was the part that tended to break first on the original DS systems. However, the lack of the hinge left both the top and bottom screen completely unprotected, making the included carrying case a necessity when gaming on the go. Having to put the 2DS in a carrying case whenever I wanted to take it somewhere was really annoying.

Speaking of portability, the Nintendo 2DS is not the most portable handheld. Though the original DS was big, I was able to put it in my pocket to carry it around. The 2DS, on the other hand, won’t fit into any pocket I’ve ever seen, especially if you want to keep the screens from getting scratched. If you ...

• Nintendo 2DS vs 3DS
      want to take the 2DS on-the-go, I recommend putting it in its carrying case and then in a backpack/purse. The 2DS definitely doesn’t win any awards when it comes to portability.

Without the “clam-shell” design of the original 3DS, the button layout for the 2DS is completely different and not in a good way. I found that I had to bend my thumb to an uncomfortable position to press the X, A, and B buttons. My niece, on the other hand, had no trouble pressing the buttons, so I guess the 2DS is not for people with large hands.

The actual build quality of the 2DS is also lacking when compared to the 3DS. The plastic on the 3DS felt tough and solid, while the plastic on the

2DS has a lot of give to it. However, I was happy with the actual buttons, which felt identical to the original system.

Overall, the 2DS is not a good value for the price. I think Nintendo just tried too hard to make it cheap, which really degraded the system’s quality. The plastic feels flimsy and the lack of a hinge leaves screens vulnerable and makes the system unportable. Also, the system is not meant for people with large hands, as pushing certain buttons gets uncomfortable.

With all this in mind, I would only recommend the Nintendo 2DS to people using it only in one place and for those without large hands. For everyone else, I think the extra $70 for the 3DS is completely worth it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 166011624411131/k2311a016/1.6.14