AMD Athlon X4 750K CPU  » Hardware  »
  • After doing a little research, I found out that the GPU is much more important than the CPU for games, so I scoured the web for a decent CPU under $100
  • Considering the fact that my CPU cost $160 less than my friend's, I was amazed at the tiny 5 fps difference
  • When I bought the AMD Athlon X4 750K, I had heard that it was a good overclocking CPU, so I set out to do just that
  • I lowered the clock speed back to default, which fixed the problem
  • I would recommend the AMD Athlon X4 750K to anyone building a budget Gaming PC

• by Tim Ertol

I built my first gaming PC recently and I was on a strict budget of $400. After doing a little research, I found out that the GPU is much more important than the CPU for games, so I scoured the web for a decent CPU under $100. Many Youtube videos recommended the Athlon X4 750K for budget builds and it was only $80 on Newegg, so I picked it up.

The AMD Athlon X4 750K came in a small box with the CPU, a stock cooler (I’ll get to that in a minute), and a manual. The CPU and cooler were really easy to install on the

motherboard (FM2 type), even for a first time builder like me. The cooler had pre-installed thermal paste, so all I had to do was center it on the CPU and clip it down onto the motherboard. However, you do have to be careful with the pins on the CPU because if you touch them or misplace the CPU in the socket, you could ruin it.

After installing all of my hardware and Windows 7, I ran some tests on the CPU. I opened a variety of programs and used the Task Manager to see how much of the CPU I was using. Even with about 10 programs open, I was only using 65% of the CPU, which was surprising considering the price. Then, I opened Battlefield 3, which only took 58% of the CPU to maintain 45fps on high settings with my Radeon HD 7770 Graphics card. Once again I was pleasantly surprised. One of my friends has the same GPU as me (the 7770) but an Intel i5-4670k processor, and he gets around 50fps on Battlefield 3 with the same settings. Considering the fact that my CPU cost $160 less than my friend’s, I was amazed at the tiny 5 fps difference. It’s safe to say that I was completely satisfied with this ...

• AMD Athlon X4 750K CPU
      great value CPU.

When I bought the AMD Athlon X4 750K, I had heard that it was a good overclocking CPU, so I set out to do just that. Using the BIOS, I set the CPU on turbo mode, which increased the clock speed from 3.4GHZ to 3.8GHZ. This is when I saw some problems. My PC started turning off after a few hours of gaming or when video editing (any intensive task). It turns out that my CPU was overheating, going up to 80 degrees Celsius, which caused the CPU to shut itself down to prevent heat damage. I lowered the clock speed back to default,

which fixed the problem. After buying a new CPU cooler (Hyper 212 EVO) for around $20, I was able to overclock my CPU to 4.2GHZ stable. The stock cooler was terrible, but most stock coolers are, so I wasn’t too annoyed.

Overall, I was really impressed with the AMD Athlon X4 750K. For $80, it was close to a $200 CPU in terms of gaming performance, making it an amazing value. The only problem I had was with the terrible stock cooler, which made overclocking impossible, but a $20 cooler fixed that problem right up. I would recommend the AMD Athlon X4 750K to anyone building a budget Gaming PC.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 333011624350931/k2311a013/1.3.14