PowerColor Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB gaming graphics card
1.0
  • I thought this was a great deal because the HD 7770 from other brands (Sapphire, Asus, etc)
  • So I bought the GPU and, after making sure it worked for a week, I sent in the mail-in-rebate
  • I wouldn't recommend anyone buying PowerColor Graphics cards or falling for the mail-in-rebate scams

• by Tim Ertol

I recently built a gaming PC for the first time, so I wanted to get entry level parts, just in case I messed up and ruined the whole build.

The PowerColor Radeon HD 7770 was on sale on Newegg.com, and only cost $70 with a $30 mail-in rebate. I thought this was a great deal because the HD 7770 from other brands (Sapphire, Asus, etc.) cost at least $120. So I

bought the GPU and, after making sure it worked for a week, I sent in the mail-in-rebate.

For the first few months, the card worked as expected for a entry level gaming graphics card. I was able to play The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim with high settings, getting around 40-50fps.

About 4 months after I bought it, however, I began to have really annoying issues. My display would freeze randomly in the middle of a game or even just while browsing the web. My OS (Windows 7 64bit) would show up with a warning: “Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.” For a while, it wasn’t too annoying because it happened rarely, but soon it became a regular annoyance.

I tried every software solution to fix it: uninstalling the drivers and re-installing, installing the older drivers, but nothing worked. The ...

• PowerColor Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB gaming graphics card
      card that I thought was a bargain for $70 became an expensive doorstop.

The worst part is that I wasn’t able to return the card, even though I was technically under warranty. This was because of the mail-in-rebate, which required me to cut out the bar-code from the actual box that the GPU came in and send it to PowerColor. Without that bar-code, I was unable to RMA the card.

I have a suspicion that the mail-in-rebates are just in place to make sure that returning the product is impossible, so I feel a bit cheated.

To make a long story short, the PowerColor HD7770 died on me withing a few months and, since I sent in the rebate, I was unable to return the card. I wouldn’t recommend anyone buying PowerColor Graphics cards or falling for the mail-in-rebate scams.

faishal fachruddin says :

re : I thought this was a great deal because the HD 7770 from other brands (Sapphire, Asus, etc)
The hardware is very good I really like this device because the graphical display on the monitor so real, suitable for playing games like people like me and the price of this perngkat can be said reasonably priced and very good quality

Tim Ertol says :

Actually, as I mentioned in my review, the HD 7770 from Powercolor was definitely not very good quality. In fact, the graphics card stopped working after a few short months.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 332011624260831/k2311a012/1.2.14