Catching Fire, book by Suzanne Collins
  • But darn it, I can never forecast where Collins is going

• by geri herold

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins is a book you and your teenage daughter will fight over to see who gets to read if first – that is if you only have one copy. In my house we almost had to buy two. The first book, The Hunger Games, was so compelling, my daughter and I couldn’t wait until the second edition hit the book shelves.

Why is this series so compelling? First Collins is a fantastic writer. Her pacing is swift

and plotting is so elusive that even us very seasoned readers couldn’t predict where it was going. I was bummed when my daughter, thinking I was farther in the book than I was, spilled the beans. I had spent several nights falling asleep trying to predict where the plot was going. Every “red herring” that Collins planted was false. I’m pretty good at predicting the way a book might turn – I predicted who the big character was that JK Rowling was
      going to kill off – before the final installment of Harry Potter.

But darn it, I can never forecast where Collins is going. Even after making careful mental notes of all the possible angles and outcomes. That’s what makes the book such a fun read.

Next Collins books are so compelling because they are the stuff night mares are made of… big brother is watching you, big brother forces you to fight to the death to save people you love. Kill people you’ve ...

• Catching Fire, book by Suzanne Collins
      made friends with. Maybe even are in love with. How could anybody ever choose one over the other? Collins draws up new, fresh and impossible situations over and over.

And her heroine, Katniss Everdeen, the brave, strong, smart, attractive, courageous heroine always outsmarts the oppressive and sadistic president. And angers him so much that his smack downs get more and more brutal for Katniss and those she loves.

Experiencing a controlled, cruel future society through the eyes of Katniss

is so real, my stomach ties itself in knots when I hang out with her and I usually have bad dreams if I read the book before I go to sleep. So warning, you may want to read this book during the light of day. I hear I am not the only one who tosses during the night after following Katniss Everdeen through agonizing decisions in her frightening, futuristic world.

PS – don’t start reading if you don’t have a lot of time… You won’t want to put this book down.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1730121624090931/k2311a1230/12.30.13