Lenovo N50 “black diamond” wireless optical mouse  » Hardware  »
  • After a bit of research, I bought the Lenovo N50 wireless optical mouse (black) from a local dealer for INR 999 (approx
  • Unless you can afford the retail price of Apple's Magic Mouse (there certainly is no product in the market which can compete with its track pad capabilities), I strongly recommend this product to you

• by Rishi Jain

I had had enough of my wired mouse and decided to upgrade to a wireless one. I had a couple of features in mind which I needed in the product I went in for.

First: I wanted a full sized mouse as I intended to use it for my desktop. I simply find the portable mini mice for laptops inconveniently small as they do not provide a comfortable hold and end up hiding underneath your hands.

Second: It should have an on -off switch to save battery when not in use. An automatic or a manual switch, either would have worked equally well for me.

After a bit of research, I bought the Lenovo N50 wireless optical mouse (black) from a local dealer for INR 999 (approx. $16). The in-box items I got were 1-mouse, 1-dongle, 1-battery, 1-manual. The battery is AA size (standard pencil battery) and lasts no more than 6 months with this product. Some mini mice last over a year on a single battery and hence I give 7/10 for efficiency.

The first thing which catches your eye is the unconventional design (in the positive sense). As the name suggests, the product is designed to replicate a diamond. The cuts taper seamlessly at the rear and merge with the bottom. They have subtly been placed at the sides too.

The texture of the mouse body is not immediately apparent at first glance through the box.The matte finish came as a pleasant surprise to me and, the feel was surreal compared to the glossy plastic body of my previous mouse. It also makes the mouse less prone to scratches and dust accumulation.

The scroll wheel is graduated i.e. you can feel the slight clicks while scrolling pages. Its not a free roller and hence gives more accurate page scrolling, up to 0.5 cm. The wheel has metal highlights on the side, and is matte finish on the top, where your index finger tends to lie naturally . This provides excellent grip. 10/10 for design and functionality here.

...

• Lenovo N50
      The gross weight of the mouse with the battery is 0.205 kg. Due to its heaviness and dimensions ( 20cm long). portability is hampered, making it better suited for desktops. The weight is also the key factor for its stable on screen cursor. Desktop user: 8/10 Laptop user: 5/10.

The bottom surface features a manual on-off power switch (no where mentioned on the box). It has an invisible optic i.e. no red light is emitted. This facilitates its use on practically every surface, without the use of a mousepad (one is always recommended though). The battery compartment is well placed and also has a slot for storing the dongle. 9/10 here.

The range

of the mouse is above average. I tested it from another room, and it worked effortlessly, without any noticeable lag. Therefore you can use it for gaming purposes from your couch. One drawback though, is the lack of volume controls. For range 8/10.

The wireless mouse software is automatically installed as soon as you connect the dongle to your computer, Irrespective of whether you use a mac or windows pc. I use a mac and the software was installed instantaneously. 10/10 for compatibility.

Unless you can afford the retail price of Apple’s Magic Mouse (there certainly is no product in the market which can compete with its track pad capabilities), I strongly recommend this product to you.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3324121623850831/k2311a1224/12.24.13