Blue Buffalo Wilderness Dry Puppy Food - Chicken and Rice Formula  » Pets  »
2.0
  • My animals are the loves of my life and I only want the best for them, especially in the nutrition department
  • Accordingly, I like to avoid chicken based formulas, I prefer lamb or fish
  • This was my first problem with Blue, the majority of their puppy formulas from their Basics line to their Longevity line only come in chicken based formulas
  • I had decided to look past the flavor issue in the name of all of the other seemingly positive things like the protein content and the fact that it contains tons of antioxidants and DHA which aids in healthy brain function and growth
  • So while Blue may seem like a great choice for your dog, I would not recommend it

• by Bethany V.

My animals are the loves of my life and I only want the best for them, especially in the nutrition department. Blue Buffalo boasts all natural, holistic dog food high in quality proteins and manufactured in the USA. This really appealed to me when choosing my Siberian Husky puppy’s food. However, upon testing this food I can’t say that I’m satisfied with it.

Being a long time dog owner I’m well aware that many breeds have food sensitivities, especially to things like wheat and chicken. Accordingly, I like to avoid chicken based formulas, I prefer lamb or fish. This was

my first problem with Blue, the majority of their puppy formulas from their Basics line to their Longevity line only come in chicken based formulas. Once into adulthood they have a wonderful selection of proteins from salmon to bison, but again, the puppy formulas are almost exclusively chicken. I had decided to look past the flavor issue in the name of all of the other seemingly positive things like the protein content and the fact that it contains tons of antioxidants and DHA which aids in healthy brain function and growth.

Although I wasn’t too happy about the chicken, my puppy did not complain one bit. He gobbled it up faster than his original kibble. So far so good I thought, he’s getting all of these good healthy nutrients and plenty of the protein that a growing husky needs. But anyone with a growing husky knows these are high energy dogs. After about three days of him receiving this food at a ratio of 3/4c three times a day, I couldn’t keep him still. I had what seemed like 5 huskies rolled into one quick little package. He just never stopped.

Two days later he had a routine vet visit and ...

• Blue Buffalo Wilderness Dry Puppy Food - Chicken and Rice Formula
      I decided to ask my vet what in the world was going on. My puppy went from needing two one hour long runs to four or five just to get him compliant enough to sit down for a brushing! I explained to my vet his feeding schedule and as soon as the brand came out of my mouth he stopped me there. The food was the problem! Blue has such a high protein content, especially wilderness, there’s no way the average dog can use it all, resulting in an extremely hyper and semi destructive dog.

He had also explained to me

that just like ours, a dog’s nutrition is imperative to their health and imbalances in vitamins and proteins can cause serious health and behavioral problems. Too much protein in their diet can actually lead to damage and possible failure of the kidneys, not to mention the hyperactivity. I switched food that day.

My dog is now so much better, he’s well behaved, super healthy and is no longer flying off the walls. So while Blue may seem like a great choice for your dog, I would not recommend it. Always discuss feeding options with your vet to find what’s best for you’re fur baby.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2918121623660931/k2311a1218/12.18.13