VLC Media Player 2.0  » Software  »
  • However, I've noticed that it takes about 4 seconds to open FLV, it's a bit longer, but I believe it's sufficient
  • I have not been able to find another app that supports as many file types, which is why I love and continue to use the software
  • If you set it to loop all sometimes it loops and sometimes it doesn't, the exact issue happens when trying to set the other options as well
  • All things considered it's an amazing program and despite minor glitches, it works very well
  • If you're looking for that one program for all media files, I would definitely suggest trying it

• by John

I often download media files that aren’t compatible with Windows Media Player. VLC Media Player’s awesome because it’s compatible with most media formats. There aren’t many files that I haven’t been able to play since I started using it. FYI, if you’re interested in getting the software, you can get it from the developer’s website at videolan.org.

Despite the fact that most media files require tons of resources, it’s

very efficient, it loads quickly and opens most media files in about 1-2 seconds. However, I’ve noticed that it takes about 4 seconds to open FLV, it’s a bit longer, but I believe it’s sufficient. Similar applications can take longer to open FLV files, so I have no complaints about this aspect.

I have not been able to find another app that supports as many file types, which is why I love and continue to use the software. The video playback couldn’t be better! The playback is smooth, I believe it’s definitely up to par with Windows Media Player.

I believe the software developer’s did an awesome job with most aspects of the application, but there are a few minor glitches. The loop button that allows you to “loop all, loop once, or no loop” doesn’t function as ...

• VLC Media Player 2.0
      designed. If you set it to “loop all” sometimes it loops and sometimes it doesn’t, the exact issue happens when trying to set the other options as well. I don’t believe it’s a big issue, but it’s worth mentioning. It also at times opens two screens instead of one after clicking a file. To fix it you’ll simply have to close one of them.

VLC Media Player

is compatible with hot-keys, such as those used in Windows Media Player. The hot-keys are configurable, but they are defaulted to essentially the same hotkeys as Windows Media Player, which is something I’m pleased with because it offers great familiarity.

All things considered it’s an amazing program and despite minor glitches, it works very well! If you’re looking for that one program for all media files, I would definitely suggest trying it!

PIYUSH MAURYA says :

re : I have not been able to find another app that supports as many file types, which is why I love and continue to use the software
there are lots of media player available in the market. like KM PLAYER , SM PLAYER they are also very good media players, they play all formats.

Moses says :

there may be many other applications that play videos but honestly none is as comprehensive as VLC. VLC is by far the best and simplest video player available and to top it all off, it is free

vida says :

you can also use it for when you do screen captures. I use it with OBS studio.

Galega says :

There is absolutely no doubt that VLC is by far the best free and open source media player. It may have tough competition among paid player, but not in the world of free. It can work cross platform. It can play almost all sorts of media. Its support for wide range of video compression method is simply scintillating.

Faith says :

re : If you’re looking for that one program for all media files, I would definitely suggest trying it
Agreed, I love VLC. It is the first program I install on a new PC. The Windows player seems heavy for some reason, takes forever to load, etc. VLC is usually pretty quick and doesn’t give me any problems. It doesn’t seem to need updating as much as other programs either. Good Stuff.

Chris Cranston says :

In addition to this program another you may want to have a look at is, Video Converter Ultimate, I am still trying to find a video file type it wont play.

Akhil Reddy Rondla says :

Somewhat agree, Because of it has some problem with this software to your PC. I have encountered ample of problems. I would suggest Kodi player is support for all the type of extension files.

Emily M Gazmen says :

Chris, i also used that player, but that player is not easy as the VLC is easy and simper interface. That’s why it got people interest.

Galega says :

VLC media player has literally killed Windows Media Player. There is no way WMP can tackle its onslaught. Be it user friendliness or being bug free, VLC is the best. I have used many other free media player, but have always found VLC the best. It is an open source project which can run on cross platform that is not the case with WMP.

shawana says :

yes i,m agree with this opinion, VLC player is all on one player. i prefer it and use it as my first choice video player.

Dylan Ashtonson says :

There is definitely some debate on this topic. For Windows, I believe that Windows Media Player is also a very good option as it specializes in playing .wmv files which so many programs seem to ignore. Obviously, this would not be a good choice if you have a Mac or if you don’t run into .wmv files on a consistent basis.

John replies :

Media Player is sufficient for most basic file types, but it doesn’t support many streaming formats such as pls and asx. These formats are used often by internet radio stations.

Galega says :

For me, VLC is always the first option for running any media player. WMP is not in my list. Before Windows 10, there was no match of VLC. However, Microsoft has definitely tried his best to make some difference with new addition and improvement with WMP. They have added many new apps and capabilities with it, and that has definitely make the difference with VLC and WMP a little bit blurry. I will still prefer VLC for it being completely open source and free.

PIYUSH MAURYA says :

re : However, I’ve noticed that it takes about 4 seconds to open FLV, it’s a bit longer, but I believe it’s sufficient
it is a good media player and play flv file as well, it takes little bit time, but its negligible.

John replies :

There is a delay, but I should note that it only happens with FLV files. With the exception of the obvious delay that occurs when loading streams.

Galega says :

Not all media player can run FLV flash video files. VLC can do it. Flash video takes little bit of time in processing and hence delay in playing them can be expected. That should not be problematic. However, one feature that makes VLC apart is its capability to convert FLC files into MP4.

PIYUSH MAURYA says :

re : All things considered it’s an amazing program and despite minor glitches, it works very well
yeah, it really work very well. it is a good program

toscani says :

beside vlc you can try kmplayer…it worked very nice for me .

John replies :

Thanks for the recommendation. The thing about KM is that it’s not compatible with a few radio stream formats, such as pls and RMF.

Galega says :

I have used both VLC and KM Player. In many respects, KM Player is better, like running 4K videos seamlessly and fast forwarding FLV files, among others. However, KM Player can’t be run on many operating systems besides Windows.

Carlo Bayani says :

Yeah Right VLC Media Player is awesome. Many features i can do what i want to do the videos i played like slow motion. Then its supports all media types. VLC Player Rocks :)

dimas says :

Yes you are right, and the features I like is I can watch tv channels from different countries with an online streaming facility.

Galega says :

Yes, VLC provides live stream feature which is incredibly easy to use. However, you should know that not all TV channels and radio networks can be streamed live. It is because of the paywall issue. For example, for home cable and DTH, Discovery channel charges a fee per streaming. How can it allow contents to go for free streaming through VLC? If means a channel which is behind paywall can’t be live streamed with VLC media player.

Sumit says :

With the release of VLC 2.0 on February 18 2012 made all my problems related to playing videos to vanish away. I had many problems in playing videos of .mkv, .mpeg, etc. But this software made me to write my first ever review for something. Now VLC is my all time Video/Audio player. This software has enhanced my experience of viewing videos. Along with its numerous unique features, the feature of cutting and recording videos is my favorite, VLC is the only one to provide with that feature. It’s amazing and unique features makes it the best Media Player of all time for me, and I’m sure it’ll be great for you too.
So switch to VLC as soon as possible and improve your Video/Audio experience from good to great……

ankit says :

Best feature i love in VLC media player is live streaming.

John replies :

The streaming is awesome particularly because it supports several formats. It’s compatible with FLV, FLAC, and AVI, to mention a few, and you don’t have to install additional codecs.

Ataberk says :

I disagree this because of it depends on your computer components. For me it takes 1 sec or less.

John replies :

It probably can depend on the computer’s components. However, to add context I use it with a Dell XPS 700. It’s not the newest PC, but it has quality components, that should be compatible with VLC.

Galega says :

Actually, it is correct that VLC takes little bit of time in processing FLV media files and hence delay in running it happens. It is a known fact and I think one should not complain about it. There are very few media players which come with capability of running FLV files. Additionally, VLC also provides facility to convert FLV into MP4.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3017121623630831/k2311a1217/12.17.13