Bury me in Niagara (movie)  » Movies  »
0.5
  • I found the idea of the man going so close to his dead mother’s body frightful enough, and then seeing her hover behind the casket was beyond frightening for me
  • I thought that the only actor in the entire movie who seemed to show a shred of talent at all was the one who played the leader of the Japanese hit squad
  • I’ve found that some of the best and most hilarious comedies are tied to a lot to what might or might not happen in reality
  • Overall, I truly hated this movie with every single fibre of my being and would never recommend it to anyone, because it’s so bad and terrifying in a bad way that I wish it would simply erase itself from existence entirely

• by Redtape

Out of the many movies that I’ve seen over my lifetime, this is one of those that stands out because of how it frightened me when I watched it one Sunday when I was still a fairly young child. I remember how strange the entire thing was too because I was never really a child that got scared easily since I grew up on watching horror movies and reading Stephen King novels and short stories in secret. Nevertheless, I remember being unable to put my finger on what made it so terrifying since it wasn’t really supposed to be a horror movie either. After searching for the movie for what seems like a millennia and then re-watching it, I finally get why it was so unintentionally terrifying. The plot and some of the characters were just plain creepy.

The movie “Bury

me in Niagara” which I later found out is also listed under the name“Ghost Mom”, is a comedy and fantasy movie that was released in the early nineteen nineties. In it, a man deals with his overbearing and meddling mother for most of his life, but when she dies suddenly, her restless spirit is brought back by a magical stone and she insists that she will not cross over until she is buried in Niagara Falls. Therefore, she spends most of the movie meddling and interfering in her son’s affairs and love life, making his life literal hell, while he tries to transport her body in the casket to Niagara Falls. Meanwhile, all of this is happening, he is hunted by group of Japanese hit men.

The main reason why the plot of the movie was unbelievably creepy was because the man’s dead mother was constantly stalking them. At first, she appeared at her own funeral where her spirit hovered over her own body causing the man to back away in fright, crash through a church window and disturb another funeral that was going on. I realise that scene was supposed to be comedic, but it was certainly no “Death at a Funeral”. I found the idea of the man going so close to his dead mother’s body frightful enough, and then seeing her hover behind the casket was beyond frightening for me. The character of the mother’s ghost still terrifies me after all these years, especially when she keeps popping up in unexpected places and at unexpected times during the movie.

When I re-watched the movie I also realised that it was just plain terrible for many reasons. One of them ...

• Bury me in Niagara (movie)
      is that the acting was atrocious. I thought that the only actor in the entire movie who seemed to show a shred of talent at all was the one who played the leader of the Japanese hit squad. A part from that, just watching the leads in the movie was pitiful.

The Welch actor Geraint Wyn Davies who I had previously known from the series “Forever Knight”, plays the role of Martin Mallory, the woman’s son. I remember him trying to make certain scenes very comedic and be very dramatic in others, but it never seemed to come out the way that it was intended. He always looked either very clumsy to me or seemed to have no idea what he was doing.

Another thing that I hated about the movie was the plot, and my hate for it had

absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I thought it was creepy. I just thought that the entire thing was stupid and made no sense. I’ve found that some of the best and most hilarious comedies are tied to a lot to what might or might not happen in reality. However, the plot of this one, despite it being a fantasy, seemed to have too many random things happen and thus didn’t make much sense. I abhorred the addition of the Japanese hit squad for example because it made the movie even more silly than it would have been.

Overall, I truly hated this movie with every single fibre of my being and would never recommend it to anyone, because it’s so bad and terrifying in a bad way that I wish it would simply erase itself from existence entirely.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1110121623080731/k2311a1210/12.10.13