Wondra Quick Mixing Flour by Gold Medal  » Food  »
  • In reality, it is definitely flour that has just basically been pre cooked to make it easier in recipes
  • I just winged it and stirred it repeatedly until I was happy with the consistency
  • One aspect I learned very quickly when using this product is that it will take a few minutes to thicken and will thicken more upon standing
  • For anyone looking to make some clump free sauces, I highly recommend trying this Wondra product out

• by Crystal

I have a history of making lumpy gravies. I’ve tried sifting flour into it, adding little bits at a time etc and have not once succeeded in making a gravy that is lump free. Knowing how much I struggle with my gravies, my grandmother recommended trying Wondra in place of flour. After one use of this product I was completely sold on it.

The idea behind Wondra is that it is an instant flour. What that actually means is that the flour has already been finely milled and then processed with steam and dried out

again. The result is a very fine flaky flour that instantly dissolves in water. Some health conscious people are skeptical about using it because they don’t really know what it’s all about. I’ve heard people assume that it is chemically treated or they call it fake flour. In reality, it is definitely flour that has just basically been pre cooked to make it easier in recipes.

My first time using this I was making a white gravy. It required some chicken stock and butter and flour to thicken it. I didn’t even bother going by the recommended amounts. I just winged it and stirred it repeatedly until I was happy with the consistency. Adding a little bit at a time is definitely the way to go so you can give it some time to thicken while you are stirring. One aspect I learned very quickly when using this product is that it will take a few minutes to thicken and will thicken more upon standing. I made the mistake of adding too much at one point because I didn’t see it thicken right away and wound up0 with gravy ...

• Wondra Quick Mixing Flour by Gold Medal
      that was too thick. It wasn’t a big deal because I simply added more stock and that evened it out. My gravy was finally lump free after using this.

I also used this in my crockpot stew. I sprinkled a little on my beef in the beginning to give it a little coating and it also helped the flavors sort of stick to it. When I wanted to thicken it a bit at the end of the cooking I dissolved a handful of it in a tiny bit of water and then stirred it into the

stew. It made for a beautiful sauce. What’s great is that you don’t need to really pre stir or add much water to the wondra at all before putting it in the stew because it dissolves so easily.

For anyone looking to make some clump free sauces, I highly recommend trying this Wondra product out. It’s more expensive than regular flour so I wouldn’t use it for just flouring a surface or in place of regular flour when regular is called for in a recipe. Still, at only 3 or 4 dollars a can it is not a bad deal.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2729111622140130/k2311a1129/11.29.13