Board Dudes 2′ x 4′ hobby cork roll  » Other  »
  • While some may find it suitable to make their own cork board with, I do not recommend using it alone for that purpose

• by Crystal

This is a great cork roll for certain projects. The first thing I have to point out I that it is a fine grain cork roll and is only 3/32” thick. While some may find it suitable to make their own cork board with, I do not recommend using it alone for that purpose. Either double up the layers or put something underneath such as a foam board to make it plusher and hold tacks better.

That being said, it is wonderful for smaller projects. I

used these as coaster backings on Christmas projects I made myself. One layer suffices for this purpose.

I cut the pieces evenly and glued them on the back of ceramic tile. They held up great to superglue and fit together perfectly over the back of the tile. They provide the perfect surface for coasters to sit on.

They make the back of the coasters look perfect while also protecting your furniture from scuff marks and scratches. One thing I have to point out with this roll is that you have to be super careful with it. Since it is fine grain and thin, it can crack very easily before you apply it to whatever you are using it on.

A few things to keep in mind are that when you are unrolling it, make sure you do it slowly. Also, don’t be in a rush for it to flatten out. If you try to roll it back up the other way in hopes of unwarping the roll, it will only ...

• Board Dudes 2' x 4' hobby cork roll
      make it crack and look more brittle.

It is best to use this roll for smaller projects and cutting it inot smaller pieces will make it more functional. When you are cutting it you have to be extra cautious as well. I find that a fine tip hobby knife against a ruler edge cuts it pretty well.

I used the extra cork for drawer liners when my project was done. They are the perfect thickness and consistency to serve such a purpose. They protect the

drawer from scuffs from utensils and are especially effective against knife marks.

You can pick up a roll of this cork for about 10 USD from local craft stores and if you buy it from a Michaels or Joann Fabrics then you can use one of their 40 or 50% off coupons on it and save a chunk of money. Overall I would recommend this cork for projects requiring smaller applications of it. Also, it doesn’t come with an adhesive back so you have to be sure to use your own adhesive with it.

quick note by anonymous :

I agree totally. Best for small projects. Don’t use the roll as a whole for anything. We tried to use this as a wall protector around our dart board. Way too thin, of course, and it never actually flattened out. You try and roll it backwards but it just cracks and breaks. A lot of ways to use cork for cushioning and backing, but use in smaller pieces.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1226111622060830/k2311a1126/11.26.13