The Carrie Diaries [Season 1 - Episode 1]
  • This is a series that I was entirely skeptical about but after a few youtube videos that I have come across randomly I decided to give it a try
  • I like the main character, quite a lot and how she seems to resemble that idea of the mother that the episode inspires onto you
  • All in all, the episode was great, I really enjoyed watching it, but there were some elements with which I can't say I agreed entirely, such as the monologue and the seemingly forced relationship
  • Nonetheless, this episode was great and I think I will watch more of it

• by Stefan Gorneanu

This is a series that I was entirely skeptical about but after a few youtube videos that I have come across randomly I decided to give it a try. Now, from just the pilot, I can not tell you for sure if I have liked it or not, even though the balance is slowly turning for the good side. As any other show, it has bad and good things, which I will further show in my work here.

First, let me present the characters from what I understand them. Carrie, whose mother died of cancer a few months before the first episode. She has blonde hair, just got into high school and she acts relatively normal until she gets to NY. Carrie’s sister Dorrit

which resents her older sister for having more time than her with her mother and their dad which soon takes their mother’s place. The main male character, and Carrie’s love interest seems to be a blonde tall guy called Sebastian, whose relationship with her seems to be rather forced but not so much that it would sicken the one that would watch the show, just enough to slightly resent it. At least that’s what I felt so far. Walter, Maggie and Jill consist of the group that is closest to the protagonist and supports her in whatever she wishes to do.

I will start with the bad things about the pilot and then continue with the good things because I feel like I shouldn’t start

with the good things and end with the bad ones, that wouldn’t be nice of me. First of all, the chemistry between Carrie and Sebastian is obvious, yet the directors/writers seem to want go get them together so much that they are slightly forcing it, causing the viewer to feel slightly odd at the situations that they face, like the time that Carrie faints. At times, the monologue takes over so much and things are slowed down a lot which made me lose interest for a short period of time, but luckily enough it came back as the event had passed. These two are the only bad things actually, but they make up a pretty good amount of the pilot.

Now, finally the good things ...

• The Carrie Diaries [Season 1 - Episode 1]
      should come. I like the main character, quite a lot and how she seems to resemble that idea of the mother that the episode inspires onto you. I also like the fact that she opens up gradually and changes over the course of the episode, not all at once like a bomb, something that some movies or series would rather do. The way the memory of the mother is treated by the family puts you in awe and wishes you could be there to hug them, to make them feel better. What I loved the most about the episode was the theme. Virginity. Not really in the sexual way, but in the initiative way. Carrie thought about this through the first episode, going from uninitiated,
      at the beginning, being a simple girl in a small town without any romantic interest, to a initiated girl, someone who is not as innocent as before, with a romantic interest and that works in NY as an intern. It was like she took a bite of life, a bite that filled a certain void inside of her that her mother had left and that she couldn’t replace by anything else. It changed her, it made her feel different, better.

All in all, the episode was great, I really enjoyed watching it, but there were some elements with which I can’t say I agreed entirely, such as the monologue and the seemingly forced relationship. Nonetheless, this episode was great and I think I will watch more of it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1026111622020830/k2311a1126/11.26.13