Da Vincis Demons (tv series)  » TV  »
  • During the year I found a few series I started watching, but most of them were discovered by way of the internet
  • At the time I felt that since Starz had set the bar so high airing a series like Spartacus, I felt that a series like Da Vinci’s Demons would be even greater with possibly even a bigger following, a more amazing storyline and a greater suspense level
  • However, when I began to watch it, I was a little disappointed at first, and began to wonder what the hype about it was
  • That is something I’ve never really had to deal with watching many of the series that I usually watch, so I think that this can be a genuine problem with the plot, especially when it comes to learning about the secret society, which is a crucial element
  • Nevertheless, I would recommend this series to people who love historical series

• by Redtape

During the year I found a few series I started watching, but most of them were discovered by way of the internet. I actually found out about this one when it began advertising on the cable television channel, Starz, a little before the series Spartacus was set to have its season finale. At the time I felt that since Starz had set the bar so high airing a series like Spartacus, I felt that a series like Da Vinci’s Demons would be even greater with possibly even a bigger following, a more amazing storyline and a greater suspense level. However, when I began to watch it, I was a little disappointed at first, and began to wonder what the hype about it was. It took me more than a few episodes to actually appreciate it for what it was and even enjoy it. The series is not something that everyone can stomach. As a matter of fact, even I had problems

digesting some of the concepts at first.

Da Vinci’s Demons is about the life of Leonardo da Vinci, not only as a genius, inventor, artist, political pawn and a businessman, but also as a young man who longs for acceptance, has friends, loves and falls in love. When the series begins, it is clear that Leonardo is struggling with the gift of being super genius, as he can see things in a completely different light from the way that other people do. He is eventually drawn in by a shadowy and secret society, whose influence and connection it seems stretches further than he has ever imagined.

Perhaps the first thing most viewers will notice and like about the series is the starting, and by this I’m not referring to the first episode at all, but the starting of each episode where it shows sketches some of Leonardo da Vinci’s designs, drawings and creations illuminated with chalk and done in black and white, which I guess reflect the feelings and the thoughts of the main character. It shows how he views things as well, as one big design, which is his curse so to speak in the series.

I’m still a little torn about the plot in the sense that it can be confusing, especially if you’ve missed one or two of the first episodes like I did. Even though most people including me usually catch up by the end of the season, the entire show is filled with riddles. Therefore, you might find yourself like me whereas you keep scratching your head and the only remedy for that is you watch some things more than twice so you really get them. That is something I’ve never really had to deal with watching many of the series that I usually watch, so I think that this can be a genuine problem with the plot, especially when it comes to learning about the secret society, which ...

• Da Vincis Demons (tv series)
      is a crucial element.

Despite this though, the plot is truly interesting, mixing fiction and history in a way that makes everything truly stimulating. There is twist after twist, and just the way that Italian Renaissance with its art, politics and invention is brought to life is truly splendid to watch.

I have several favourite episodes. One of them in particular is the episode called “The Devil”, that features the character of Dracula or Vlad the Impaler. In this episode, Da Vinci goes on a journey to find a cartographer that should help him to understand the map that he acquired. However, he soon finds out that the cartographer is actually a prisoner of a psychotic bloodthirsty madman, Vlad the Impaler. Vlad keeps his prisoner locked in a contraption that will kill him if the person who tries to free him makes the wrong choice. However, Leonardo manages to free him after drugging everyone in Vlad’s castle. Things go haywire, when Leonardo’s company

believes that they have gotten away and Vlad comes back seemingly unaffected by the drugs.

I believe that the series is made even better by the wealth of talent that accompanies such a good plot. I have not seen many familiar faces so far, but I believe that each of the actors, no matter how minor the character, have been able to portray their characters and their lives wonderfully. One person in particular who stands out would have to be the actor who plays the role of Girolamo Riario.

One thing that I’ve heard some people complain about though is the homosexuality, which personally, I haven’t had a problem with at all. This is not only because I’m not homophobic, but I just don’t see a lot of those instances in the television series. Therefore, if you know that you’re a very homophobic person, you might not want to watch it.

Nevertheless, I would recommend this series to people who love historical series.

Azriel says :

I like this series. It was unique and a very intelligent series for me. I enjoy so many scenes from this series where Da Vinci would be like any other human that also is not perfect - that he too have struggled to do what we think he did so effortlessly. This is a good series to watch if you are also into the middle ages era.

sonjica says :

re : Nevertheless, I would recommend this series to people who love historical series
I agree totally, but I would also recommend it to people who like mystery. The first season is actually much better then the second one because in the first one there was always a problem which Da Vinci solved with one of his inventions.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1022111621860930/k2311a1122/11.22.13