BeauJo’s Pizza in Arvada  » Restaurants  »
7525 W. 53rd Ave. Arvada, CO 80002
  • If they could let themselves be a simpler establishment, I think BeauJo’s would be an awesome landmark Colorado experience for travelers, and for Colorado natives alike
  • I will definitely go back, and I will surely bring friends and family
  • I just hope the experience gets a little hipper next time

• by M. Alan Berg

I remembered it fondly, from when my parents would take me to BeauJo’s Pizza as a child. The pizza was thick and huge, and they served it with honey for the leftover crust. Mountain Pies, they called them. BeauJo’s Pizza sells by the pound. The restaurant was founded in Idaho Springs, and the old location at 80th and Wadsworth in Arvada had a rustic motif that also was distinctly pizzeria-ish.

Today, BeauJo’s has relocated to 53rd and Wadsworth, into what used to be a Mexican restaurant. They took with them some of the rustic décor, but the faux adobe walls of the Mexican restaurant remain, and the contrast between that and the rough-looking wood trim just makes everything look

unfinished.

BeauJo’s was just short of being hip. The staff was young, and they all interacted with one another. Our waitress was very polite and helpful. The service was fast. But there was no personality. No identity to it all. It might as well have been happening at the Golden Corral. Perhaps it was the glossy portraits of hummingbirds and mountain goats all over. Perhaps the music was playing too softly. It was just boring.

If I could be so bold as to make a few recommendations to BeauJo’s: turn up the music. Make it loud; not overwhelming. But everyone in every corner should be aware of what song is playing. Lose the pictures of beautiful Colorado imagery, and replace it with something hip, or at least neon beer signs. We know this is distinctly Colorado pizza; we’re in Colorado, and we don’t need to be reminded of it. Make it part of Colorado, and not a souvenir of Colorado. Also, your menu is about one-hundred pages too long. Ditch the menu, get a chalkboard, and put your pizzas and sandwiches on it in colorful chalk drawings. Get rid of everything else. Then, you have the makings of a hip restaurant to sell your Mountain Pies.

The Mountain Pie does not disappoint. Papa John says he uses the freshest ingredients, but you can tell BeauJo’s really does use them. I ordered a one-pound Mama Mia, that came with chicken ...

• BeauJo's Pizza in Arvada
      breast, roma tomatoes, scallions and mushrooms. The cheese was melted and browned to perfection and the crust was cooked, with an appropriate softness beyond the outer shell. It was a really tasty pizza that was constructed and cooked quite well.

Thankfully, BeauJo’s signature food, it’s Mountain Pie pizza, made up for the chips and queso appetizer I ordered, which were quite literally “restaurant-style” tortilla chips you’d find from the supermarket, and some sort of queso that came from a jar. Why even bother with that? Don’t phone your food in; make it, or leave it off the menu.

I also ordered an Isolation Ale, which is an Odell winter seasonal brew. Odell is a local Colorado microbrewery. This beer

is good, but it does not pair well with pizza. Just a warning.

Overall, I was sad that BeauJo’s is suffering from being a successful small business for a long time, in that they are relying on their own ideas too much rather than meeting with popular trends that are popular for a reason. If they could let themselves be a simpler establishment, I think BeauJo’s would be an awesome landmark Colorado experience for travelers, and for Colorado natives alike. I am glad that BeauJo’s is still around, and that their pizza still doesn’t disappoint after all these years. I will definitely go back, and I will surely bring friends and family. I just hope the experience gets a little hipper next time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 720111621650730/k2311a1120/11.20.13