The Conjuring, horror movie  » Movies  »
  • As the family experience dark forces within the house, they call upon Ed and Lorraine Warren to help them
  • Personally, at no point during the film did I consider it to have much element of truth, and though I admit to being a cynic, I have a hunch that it is extremely loosely ‘based’ on truth
  • This film may not be for the cynics, but it is definitely not for the faint-hearted

• by Jack Spence

On the whole, Horror is a genre that avoids the avant-garde, particularly the films that Hollywood produces. The Conjuring is little exception to this lack or experimentation.

The film explores issues and themes pertained to countless horror films before it; the main premise being that of a family moving into a new house that turns out to be haunted - and though I won’t divulge the whole story, I will reveal that through its two hour length (quite long for a modern horror) it boasts a whole host of horror clichés; a child

having an eerie imaginary friend and a clock that stops at the same time every night being but two of them.

As the family experience dark forces within the house, they call upon Ed and Lorraine Warren to help them. The Warrens were real-life paranormal investigators, and supposedly The Conjuring is based on a true story that they experienced, a feat that usually invokes more fear from a film. Personally, at no point during the film did I consider it to have much element of truth, and though I admit to being a cynic, I have a hunch that it is extremely loosely ‘based’ on truth.

However, neither this nor the films uses of horror clichés deprive it of its initial function: to scare. While you may scoff at the end that it never actually happened, you will find yourself clutching your pillow or partner for the entirety of the two hours. While many modern horrors – most recently Paranormal Activity – use a contrasting daytime and night-time to alleviate tension, during The Conjuring you don’t know what to expect at any moment. Essentially, the fear invoked is ...

• The Conjuring, horror movie
      a ‘jumpy’ fear – akin to The Woman In Black – as opposed to the mounting fear you may experience in an older horror or thriller, but the film does boast good use of diegetic and non-diegetic sounds at times to disprove expectations and make the moments you think something is about to happen almost tantamount to when something actually does.

If I’m honest, I’m not the biggest fan of horror as a genre, due to its severe lack of originality. Around Halloween I look more to Korean film than Hollywood to give

me the chills. However, while The Conjuring does not allude to be reinventing the wheel, it has certainly ticked all the boxes a horror should. I have mentioned the length of the film a few times; this is not because the film felt too dragged out and could’ve ended sooner, but rather because I distinctly remember checking my watch an hour in, and being horrified at the notion of having another hour of fear to sit through. This film may not be for the cynics, but it is definitely not for the faint-hearted.

jimaras22 says :

hello ..I got a chance to see this movie at the cinemas , and man was I surprised James Wan’s`The Conjuring’ is one of those rare gems in the horror industry that finds a spot beside the classic titles of horror,`The Shining’,`Poltergeist’, and`The Exorcist’ due to James Wan’s ability to balance an atmospheric dreadful tale involving wonderfully crafted characters with a haunted house that had my palms sweating and my heart pounding during some of the most horrifying moments (There are a few of those make sure you empty your bladder BEFORE entering the theater since you are gonna be afraid hehe).
The things that make othe movies like`The Exorcist’ good is that if the editor were to chop out all the jump-scares and those sequences that fry an image into your brain, you would still have a moody, edgy story that makes you sympathies for the characters and their struggle. This is what Wan does right in this film, and it’s then that you realize horror is more than what pops out at you, or what makes you scream. Rather, it’s that feeling of dread you get that escalates into sheer terror and suspense, aided by shocking scares.

Moe says :

The Conjuring was a decent horror movie because it did offer a certain amount of suspense. The problem was it reminded me of other horror movies like`Amityville Horror’ for example. It was a different story but not overly unique, it’s the type of story that’s been done too many times and`The Conjuring’ manages to get the execution right.

Stephan Egli says :

re : This film may not be for the cynics, but it is definitely not for the faint-hearted
The Conjuring is a great horror story that many more modern horror movies should try and adapt too. James Wan is a great film maker Keep it up James

Tim says :

I dont really agree with it….I dont think this movies is scary at all. I mean it does not even come to a point that anyone should be scared where all the scenes are pretty much
the same as other movies story lines. Not much excitement and lack of final punch to make a great movie.

rafael says :

This movie doesn’t scare at all,I saw it with my kids and they were just cool.I can agree with you on the lack of originality this movie has,if you want something that scares ,don’t do the same thing,don’t do the “haunted house” thing,everyone knows what’s going to happen on those movies.

kiran says :

I agree with rafael, the movie just looked plain bland. I would love to see movies which keep me on the edge however, this movie failed to impress

duckfan says :

I was curious about the movie and read up on the true story. As with many films, they made some of it up, but even if 100% had been true it was just not that scary. I liked the plot, but I was not scared.

Grecy says :

oh why are you not scared, or maybe I am the only one that is like a child that is hiding in covers whenever there is scary in the film. Honestly, I always share this film to my friends and I keep telling, this movie Insidious is scary when I am sharing about Conjuring lol. I am scared of everything in this film, or maybe this scare is more of an excitement then I get startled and then scared. You should not blink your eyes or you will missed something that makes the story easy to understand.

Azriel says :

I really thought this movie was scary and I sure did try to prepare myself for what ia in store for me with this movie. Having so much expectations as that I was always waiting for that moment that would catch me off guard for a nice scare but there came none. The story is okay but needs more substance to it to be fully supported from start to finish.

Carol Houston says :

I love horror movies, and I must say that the conjuring had me a little scare lol. I really like the fact it seemed very original. I would like for the director to keep on making scary movies like this. This one here had me on the edge of my seat If you are into scary movies this one is a must see.

crystal Gayle Miranda says :

The conjuring is loosely based on a true story it is a series movie from the files of Ed and Lorraine Warren. This is not a family movie but for older teens and adults if you like horror movies you will like this one for sure

crystal Gayle Miranda says :

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1131101620531131/k2311a1031/10.31.13