Rug Doctor Steam Cleaner
  • It’s a shame that my carpets are never as clean when I live in a rental house or apartment as they are when I move out
  • One fill up of the Rug Doctor tank allowed me to steam clean about one regular-sized bedroom
  • There is no indicator, aside from the carpet being dry, and not seeing the dirty water spray into the tank through a little window

• by Matt Berg

As a man who’s always interested in how to get most of his security deposit back from the landlords, one of the last things I do as I move out is steam clean the carpets. It’s easy to spend in excess of $100 to have this professionally done, but with the willingness to use a little elbow grease, and for about $40 I can go into my local grocery store and rent a Rug Doctor.

It’s a shame that my carpets are never as clean when I live in a rental house or apartment as they are when I move out. It’s probably because using a Rug Doctor on the carpeting is a real chore, and done best when there is no furniture in the room. The Rug Doctor may resemble a vacuum cleaner, but it’s a completely different machine.

First, the Rug Doctor is sort of heavy. If my grandmother told me she plans to use a Rug Doctor, I would volunteer to help her. In addition to its weight, the

Rug Doctor is also sort of cumbersome and bulky, so to take it home from the grocery store, I had to fold the seats down and put it in the back seat, since it wouldn’t fit through the trunk opening of my car. Plus, since Rug Doctors are usually rentals, they get heavy usage and it shows… and some people are better about cleaning up after themselves than others. Supposedly there is a $10 cleaning fee if a machine is returned dirty, but that all comes down to the work ethic of the person to which the machine was returned…

After I got the Rug Doctor home, it was time to use it. As unwieldy as it was to get in my car and drive home, the Rug Doctor is at least equally unwieldy around the house. It’s very easy to make a mess filling up or emptying the Rug Doctor, and care must be exercised. Removing the dirty water tank requires sliding a metal bar off the top of it, which carries

a possibility of pinched or jammed fingers. Then, the dirty water tank doesn’t just slide out as simply as it should; I had to grasp both sides of it and sort of work it out each time. This became especially nerve-wracking when the dirty water tank was full. The dirty water tank needs to be removed each time the Rug Doctor needs to be filled with hot water/cleaner solution.

To fill the Rug Doctor, the hot water and cleaner need to be mixed in a bucket and poured into a small opening on the front of the unit. There is little headroom above the hot water/cleaner tank, so if you use a big bucket like I did, you may spill the solution all over the machine and your carpet. One fill up of the Rug Doctor tank allowed me to steam clean about one regular-sized bedroom. Also, there were a couple times I ran out of cleaner and didn’t realize it, because my mind wandered. There is no indicator, aside from the ...

• Rug Doctor Steam Cleaner
      carpet being dry, and not seeing the dirty water spray into the tank through a little window. When that happened, I had to find the last spot where the carpet was wet, and start steam cleaning from there again.

When the Rug Doctor is full of about two gallons of the cleaning solution, it’s time to start cleaning by pulling the noisy machine backwards over the carpet while manually pressing a button to spray the cleaner. Once I would get back as far as I could go, it would take a Herculean effort, or maneuvering way out of the way to turn the heavy machine around and go back the other way. Due to this, the Rug Doctor only really cleans in one direction; it cleans as I go backwards, and then makes a lot of noise as I go forwards and line up to go backwards again.

So aside from the poor maneuverability and it’s uneasy weight and lifting, how does it clean the carpet? The Rug Doctor is a spectacular steam

cleaner. Stains I had scrubbed with a carpet cleaning spray and a rag would simply disappear with a single pass of the Rug Doctor. Each time I removed the dirty water tank, which was frequently, I was astonished at how disgusting the water was; always dark gray, and sometimes black. I’m not someone who neglects chores either; I would vacuum about once a week, and the water was still that filthy.

The Rug Doctor is for sale, according to stickers all over it. To me, it’s worth renting for $40 once a year or so as opposed to purchasing one, unless you have your own hotel or something. The Rug Doctor really is industrial equipment. It would take a lot of space in a home and it’s something that would rarely be used. It could also probably be redesigned, and made easier to use. As it is today, when it is used, it does it’s job. You’ll just be aware it’s doing a job, because using a Rug Doctor is a job in and of itself.

Rug Doctor Steam Cleaner

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5331101620521131/k2311a1031/10.31.13