Hunter x Hunter (tv series)
  • I tend to like watching certain genres of Japanese animation especially if I feel that they have a very interesting plot and characters, but for some reason I find many of those hard to encounter these days, especially when it comes to new anime
  • I literally loved the anime from the very first episode and now, thirty four episodes into it, I’m still yet to find a single boring scene in it
  • My favourite character right now would have to be the psychopath Hisoka, whose story I’m completely interested in finding out
  • The reason why I love the character Hisoka is because he’s not at all like the usual cartoon villains who generally seem so flat in terms of their goals and personalities
  • However, I would not recommend it to small children since it has quite a bit of violence and gore in it

• by Redtape

I tend to like watching certain genres of Japanese animation especially if I feel that they have a very interesting plot and characters, but for some reason I find many of those hard to encounter these days, especially when it comes to new anime. Therefore, what I did was go through a list of older anime from the eighties that were done by certain anime and manga artists to see if I could find one interesting enough to continue with. One of these was the Hunter x Hunter series which was redone as an animated series in 2011.

A family member who likes watching anime like me actually recommended it, but warned me that I have to keep my mind open in order to enjoy it. For some reason, after the person said that I expected one of those really strange anime with an even stranger plot that is so immersed in fantasy that

I would ultimately find it confusing and hard to digest. Nevertheless, watching it was love at first sight. I literally loved the anime from the very first episode and now, thirty four episodes into it, I’m still yet to find a single boring scene in it.

The Japanese anime Hunter x Hunter is actually based on a manga and anime of the same name done years earlier by the same person who wrote and illustrated Yu Yu Hakusho, Yoshihiro Togashi. It’s an action anime that takes place in a different world from that which we know, where licensed professionals with much influence and immunity called hunters, hunt people such as criminals, find exotic artefacts and even explore. The series specifically focuses on a twelve year old boy named Gon who was abandoned by his father, a well-known hunter as an infant after which he was raised by his aunt. When Gon is old enough,

he decides that he is going to work for his hunter license as a means to go on a quest to find his missing father. Therefore, the little boy leaves the tiny fishing village and heads out into the world where he discovers many things and meets many interesting people.

The first thing that I absolutely love about this anime is the character development. It’s something that I’ve always loved about Yoshihiro Togashi’s mangas and anime whereas I feel that he develops most of his characters by making them very rounded with interesting personalities. My favourite character right now would have to be the psychopath Hisoka, whose story I’m completely interested in finding out. The reason why I love the character Hisoka is because he’s not at all like the usual cartoon villains who generally seem so flat in terms of their goals and personalities. It’s clear that he’s insane and damaged person who has ...

• Hunter x Hunter (tv series)
      become a sociopath.

The next character who I like is Gon. It’s clear as the series continues that he’s not almost perfect unlike many of the heroes in cartoons and many anime. However, even though he has his flaws, what I love about him is the innocence he retains, as well as his resilience despite the fact that he might be fighting someone much stronger than him, where the odds are so much greater that the opposing party might win.

The next thing that I love about this anime is the suspense at certain points in it. The suspense is either brought on at certain points in the plot where there is uncertainty or because of the action scenes, of which there seem to be more than enough. For example, I thought that one of the most suspenseful parts in the series so far would have been in the hunter exams when Gon figured out

a way to steal Hisoka’s tag. Therefore, he literally stalked Hisoka and removed the tag with his fishing rod, and all the while I thought Gon was going to get caught.

I was also in suspense when the group of friends were looking for the Zoldyck family residence in order to find and possibly save their friend Killua. Those couple of episodes were suspenseful since I wanted desperately to see what Killua’s family was like and the environment that they lived in.

Last but not least, I love the plots. The main plot seems to change from time to time, but I loved the idea of the hunter exam challenges as well as Killua and Gon learning how to use the different stages of Nen in the Heaven’s Arena.

I would definitely recommend this anime to action anime lovers. However, I would not recommend it to small children since it has quite a bit of violence and gore in it.

Japheth says :

I love this anime. Interesting story-line and full packed action. Also, give a lesson about love, dedication, ambition and revenge.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1031101620501131/k2311a1031/10.31.13