Immortals (movie)  » Movies  »
2.0
  • The result of that was I was not at all impressed by what I saw
  • However, what I believe was the actors’ problem is that many of them were more than likely not cast properly
  • His performance as Theseus singlehandedly turned me off from the entire movie as well as any other projects he might have in the future because I thought that he was just plain boring
  • This was even worse since he was one of the main characters, and I thought that he didn’t bring a shred of personality to the role that he was playing
  • However, since I noticed that a lot of people seemed to appreciate it, I recommend that people watch it and make their own judgment

• by Redtape

I remember how excited I was to watch the movie “Immortals” when I first saw the trailer being advertised back in 2011. I had even made plans to see it with friends since I was so sure that the movie would be exciting and just up my alley. What made it worse was that other people who I knew that seemed to have a similar taste in movies such as me, said that it was very good. However, since I was pressed for time and money at the time that it was released I never actually got to see it and eventually life got in the way and I just forgot about it. It was actually only about two months ago that I saw someone with the DVD and decided to borrow it from them and see what I had missed. The result of that was I was not at all impressed by what I saw.

The movie “Immortals”, which features

the actors Henry Cavill, Luke Evans, Freida Pinto and Mickey Rourke was an action and romance film that was very loosely based on stories of the legend of the Greek Mythological character of Theseus and the stories of the War of the Titans. In the movie, a mortal king known as Hyperion who is played by the American actor Mickey Rourke, searches for a powerful artifact called the Epirus Bow in an attempt of vengeance on the gods of the world since he knows it would release their enemies, the titans. In order to pursue his goal, this king kidnaps a powerful oracle who is played by Freida Pinto, and her protectors believing that she would be able to use her powers to help him find it. However his plans soon become foiled when he captures a young man Theseus, who in turn plots to destroy him, without the help of the gods, whose leader, Zeus makes them vow not to interfere with the problems of mortals until the titans are released.

The first thing that I absolutely hated about this movie was the acting. In fact, I remember that it was one of the main reasons why I struggled to get through the entire thing without getting fed up completely and abandoning it. Let me first state that the acting on a whole was not terrible; after many years of watching b-rated horror movies and low budget scfi films I honestly believe that I can safely say I’ve seen many times worse. However, what I believe was the actors’ problem is that many of them were more than likely not cast properly.

The main actor who I just could not stand was Henry Cavill. His performance as Theseus singlehandedly turned me off from the entire movie as well as any other projects he might have in the future because I thought that he was just plain boring. This was even worse ...

• Immortals (movie)
      since he was one of the main characters, and I thought that he didn’t bring a shred of personality to the role that he was playing. While I don’t think he was a bad actor, he made Theseus seem like a very vanilla person, despite the fact that if one reads the mythology it’s quite obvious that the character of Theseus was much more charismatic and not so stiff and forced.

The second thing I couldn’t stand about the movie was the plot. I thought that it was weak and a bit boring. It was one of the main reasons why I struggled not to just turn it off and watch something else and I felt that this resulted from the plot being excruciatingly slow to get to the point.

There were a couple things that I didn’t mind about “Immortals” though, and one of them in particular is the cinematography. I felt that it was such a pity that the visuals

looked so great since the contrast in colours made the entire thing have a very dark and dramatic feel, but the movie in itself did not live up to expectations.

Another thing that I liked about the movie was the portrayal of the titans. I’ve read a couple reviews on the movie and seen a lot of people complain that the thought the titans could have looked a bit better, but I thought that the movie’s portrayal made them a bit scary.

The third thing that I liked about the movie would have to be the action scenes, which sadly weren’t as many as I expected. Whatever few existed were great to watch because they were so well choreographed.

Personally, I wouldn’t recommend this movie to people who liked movies like 300 as well as other action films. However, since I noticed that a lot of people seemed to appreciate it, I recommend that people watch it and make their own judgment.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1125101620310831/k2311a1025/10.25.13