The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio (movie)
  • I think that one of the most interesting movies that I watched this year was one named “The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio”
  • In fact, I think that was one of the first things that really drew me to watching the movie and enjoying it
  • When I watched it, I thought that it didn’t seem like the type of role that Julianne Moore would usually play, however, I thought that she played her character’s role very well and she brought a certain amount of colour to her, and this is despite the fact that I didn’t read the book
  • I would definitely recommend this movie as a very motivational film especially since it is based on a true story

• by Redtape

I think that one of the most interesting movies that I watched this year was one named “The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio”. I had actually seen the movie name on display on my cable guide a number of times before, but I never actually worked up the interest to see what it was all about. It was actually by accident that I had begun to watch it on night when I had come home from work. I remember liking what I was watching so much, that I looked on the guide and found out the name for it. While the movie wasn’t one hundred percent perfect, I certainly liked it enough.

The movie is actually supposed to be based on a true story about a nineteen sixties housewife, Evelyn Ryan, with an unusual talent of writing prize winning jingles that helps her

to provide for her large family. Evelyn’s husband Kelly wasn’t a very supportive mate, especially since he was grappling with an alcohol addiction, and often spent much of his meagre paycheck to stock up on alcohol for himself. This often left bills unpaid and the family in need, so they went into a lot of debt. As a result, Evelyn would often use her talent as a means to win prizes that she thought her family would do well with.

In the climax of the plot, tension rises when Evelyn finds out that Kelly had taken a second mortgage on the house and they were far behind payment, so the family was in danger of becoming homeless. Nevertheless, the prize money of one of the competitions that she had entered bails them out of yet another sticky situation, and so they

are able to pay the mortgage and keep the house.

There were many things that I liked about this movie, and the first is that I could actually relate to the plot in the sense that I have had to use various talents or skills that I’ve had in order to support myself and my family when we’re in hard financial situations. In fact, I think that was one of the first things that really drew me to watching the movie and enjoying it.

The second thing that I liked about the movie was the style in which it was made. I think that the entire movie, narrated by Evelyn had a bit of a surreal aura to it and a sort of sixties suburban perfection and happiness at some points. I honestly think that it helped enhance the movie a lot and ...

• The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio (movie)
      made it more interesting.

The next thing that I liked about “The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio” was the acting. When I watched it, I thought that it didn’t seem like the type of role that Julianne Moore would usually play, however, I thought that she played her character’s role very well and she brought a certain amount of colour to her, and this is despite the fact that I didn’t read the book.

I also liked the way that the actor Woody Harrelson played his character Kelly making him into not just the usual one dimensional abusive alcoholic that I would usually see portrayed in a lot of movies, but as a broken and miserable man who would use alcohol to cope. Like Julianne Moore, I thought that this character was a bit strange for him to play, but I was satisfied

with the result.

There weren’t many things that I disliked about the movie, but if I had to pick one I would have to say that I thought the movie was a bit depressing sometimes especially seeing Evelyn’s character work like a slave while maintaining her sunny persona and getting almost no appreciation from her husband. There were times when Kelly even destroyed some of the prizes that she won.

I remember in one particular scene, Kelly even went as far as to lock the children out of the house, and so that helped make an otherwise “sunny” day a bad one. He also ruined some of her plans from time to time, and I guess that most people would be very discouraged after a while.

I would definitely recommend this movie as a very motivational film especially since it is based on a true story.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1115101619560731/k2311a1015/10.15.13