The Village - Movie directed by M. Night Shyamalan  » Movies  »
  • In all truthfulness the movie started out very slowly and was kind of boring
  • At times I feel like Ivy (Bryce Dallas Howard) was not 'real' enough for her part however at the same time this unrealness I think attributed to the fact that she was blind and gave her a mysterious feel
  • I think that both are effective however this method has its disadvantages
  • Overall I like the movie because it has a darkness brought into light concept

• by Isadora Night

The Village is one of the later movies of M. Night Shyamalan. I have for a long time believed that the beauty of Shyamalan’s movies was dwindling but this movie was among those that were better than you would first thought.

In all truthfulness the movie started out very slowly and was kind of boring. In fact it was not until the middle of the movie that things began to really grab your interest. The beginning had light humor that made up for it. The setting starts in a pilgrimage like area with a small village of

people. They are afraid of something that lives in the woods, dispute this they had a pact with the creatures and so everyone went on with their daily lives.

I always feel like movies that are set that far back are often kind of phony in nature mainly because the actors always seem kind of awkward however in this movie the actors did their part fairly well. At times I feel like Ivy (Bryce Dallas Howard) was not ‘real’ enough for her part however at the same time this unrealness I think attributed to the fact that she was blind and gave her a mysterious feel. Lucius Hunt ( played by Joaquin Phoenix) was kind of odd. I don’t quite know how to describe his character because it is hard to imagine someone acting like him. His character seemed to be observant and innovative but secretive if not reserved.

Now it was the concept of this movie - which was given in the end - that allowed for M. Night Shyamalan to pass it as a success. With Shyamalan you know to expect the unexpected. To assume nothing because everything is not always as ...

• The Village - Movie directed by M. Night Shyamalan
      it seems. He shows this in one of his most famous movies Sixth Sense. This movie uses this method. I won’t spoil the ending however I will say this - in the Sixth Sense the surprise was fast and startling. Within 5 minutes you see everything in an entirely different light at the same time of the character. However in The Village the surprise is drawn out. He bleeds it slowly. A succession of secrets coming out over a period of about half an hour. I think that both are effective however this method has its disadvantages.
      The slow way of giving us the surprise ending lessened it effect. Instead of a blow that left us talking for hours; we would widened our eyes in awe for a few minutes and moments after the movie is done we will be sick of thinking about it and forget about the movie.

Overall I like the movie because it has a darkness brought into light concept. A love story intertwined in it in such a way that it is not even unbearable like with other movies of the same genre (Twilight for example). In the end I suggest you watch it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 119101619240731/k2311a109/10.9.13