St Ives Apricot Scrub - Blemish Control

• by Crystal

I’m an avid user of the regular St Ives Apricot Scrub however recently I’ve been noticing that I’ve had more frequent blemishes. I don’t usually like to use products with acne medication as it dries out my face and I’m not too fond of the chemicals. Sometimes, though, it is necessary to use a little something extra in order to clear the pores out more thoroughly.

Since the regular scrub works well for me,

I figured I would try the Blemish Control version. Considering that anything with acne treatment such as salicylic acid, which this scrub contains, usually drastically dries out my face… I had satisfactory results with this one.

A trick I learned is that if you use this scrub, you shouldn’t use it more than once a day. I started out using it twice a day since that’s how often I wash my face and I wound up getting dry patches.

That made me have to use a facial moisturizer and my skin doesn’t always agree with moisturizers. Even though this particular moisture was oil free, it still wound up giving me little white heads because it clogged my pores.

In doing so, that completely negates the whole idea of using the blemish control treatment. What I wound up doing was using the blemish control in the morning and ...

• St Ives Apricot Scrub - Blemish Control
      then the regular scrub at night which gave me much better results.

It did help remove the blemishes without totally drying my face out. It also still gives you that extra squeaky clean feeling that the regular scrub gives you as well.

One thing I would like to mention is that it only comes in one size from what I have seen. The regular scrub comes in a squeeze bottle and a larger tub while the blemish control only comes in the squeeze bottle.

I like to buy things in larger sizes as it saves money that way but I don’t have the option here. Still I find that I don’t use as much of this scrub so the size it comes in has been ok.

You can get it for around $4 USD from most major drug and grocery stores and it’s worth checking out if you have somewhat blemished skin.

Nicole Downs says :

re : A trick I learned is that if you use this scrub, you shouldn’t use it more than once a day
scrubs can be very harsh on your skin and disrupt your natural acid mantle (worth a google). Any skin care product that has anything to do with exfoliating or scrubbing is best used at a minimum. Personally I would only use this 2-3 times a week for best results

Nicole Downs says :

re : That made me have to use a facial moisturizer and my skin doesn’t always agree with moisturizers
It’s really important to find a good moisturizer that works with your skin even if your skin isn’t naturally dry. Moisturizers protect your skin from aging, help your skin function properly and help it look its healthiest. I work with the elderly and most of them with nice skin agree that they’ve kept it that way by always using moisturizer at night.

nitakb says :

This also happens to my skin, which happens to be super oily at certain times and then becomes broken out with acne. One moisturizer I’ve found for my face after cleansing and scrubbing is by sea breeze. It does the trick, doesn’t itch my face or break it out and I am not greasy afterward.

Krissy A says :

My dermatologist advises that scrubs should only be used a few times per week as to not activate the oil glands too much. That would prevent the greasiness problem.

Joanna says :

Hi Nitakb,

I’m glad that you were able to find a moisturizer that works well for you. The older I get the more important a good moisturizer becomes. That being said, if you are using the scrub more than two or three times a week (three at the most), then you are using it way too much. I keep mine down to twice a week (Wednesday and Sundays).

Additionally, I have noticed a huge difference in my skin since I started taking vitamins regularly. Particularly, a complex called Skin, Hair, and Nails. It works wonders to rejuvenate skin cells. I would definitely suggest trying it to help boost skin’s natural defense to free radicals.

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,

Joanna

crystal replies :

thats very interesting about the oil glands being activated. I tried switching to a non-scrub type cleaner and i do notice an improvement. However, it didn’t completely solve my greasiness problem. When you have oily skin, you have oily skin.

Michelle Staloff says :

It is an exfoliator, so you definitely don’t want to use it too often.

Sarah says :

I agree. It is a great exfoliator and should be used only a few times per week for best results.

Michelle Staloff says :

It is not a moisturizer, it is a scrub. Therefore it does not substitute.

Michelle Staloff says :

re : I like to buy things in larger sizes as it saves money that way but I don’t have the option here
It would be a nice option

Michelle Staloff says :

It price on it is very reasonable.

Melanie Noell says :

You shouldn’t typically use an exfoliator more than once a day in general it should be used in addition to a daily cleaner to slough off dead skin cells. I have found a few that are especially gentle with less grainy scrub ingredients that are recommended for daily use, but this is not one of those. In combination with the acne-fighting ingredients, this could do more damage than benefit if you are using it more than once a day because acne-fighters typically dry out your skin.

kathleenhankinssevilla says :

i have to definitely agree with you on that part. The worst part of it is that you have to not overdo it on a daily basis but have to maintain the whole thing to avoid gross appearance. Just like shaving your legs, shave it once and you definitely have to shave it forever,

Darling Violetta says :

Exfoliating your skin too often can cause minor abrasions and skin irritation, such as creating dryness.

How much did you pay for this scrub? What are the other active ingredients?

Joanna says :

I believe that the product is only $ 3 or $ 4 at Walgreens and CVS. Most drugstores have it in stock and it can often be found on sale.

I am not sure what all the ingredients in this product are. However, I do believe that it includes aloe, vitamin E, and of course, apricot essence.

I have used this product before, but I always found it just a little too rough for my face.

Cheers,

Joanna

Kellie says :

I also love this product. It works well without drying out skin, as long as not used too often. I have been using this product off and on for years and will continue to do so. I would recommend this product to people who have sensitive skin with light acne.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 311101618820631/k2311a101/10.1.13