Butterhead Greens Cafe in Savannah, Georgia
2.0
1813 Bull St Savannah, GA 31401
  • The problem outside is that the WiFi doesn't reach out there very well, so my internet went in and out of service
  • I was really disappointed with the high prices for such tiny portions and mediocre food
  • I wouldn't recommend this place or go back again unless I was starving and nearby

• by Melanie Noell

This small local cafe located in downtown Savannah, Georgia acts as both a coffee shop and eatery. Serving up a variety of sandwiches and salads, the mediocre menu leaves something to be desired.

Butterhead Greens is located directly across from Arnold Hall which is part of the Savannah College of Art and Design. If you’re a student, this makes it a great place to stop before, between or after classes for a coffee and a quick bite to eat. For someone who doesn’t attend the school, the location is quite a drawback as it attracts a large crowd at peak hours between classes. On my first and likely only visit,

I was fortunate enough to only have to wait for one person in front of me to order. The counter service is quite quick and the menu items are fairly simple, so I got my food very quickly. However, when I came in to put my tray up, the crowd was coming out the door - at least 15 people in line - and no amount of speedy service could make up for that.

The people who work at Butterhead are fairly friendly, especially the kitchen, although one of the girls working behind the counter was short with me. It’s counter service, so you order and are given a number.

From what I could tell (and from what the employees told me) they don’t bring the food out to you; you have to wait until you hear your number called. I get that they can become quite busy, but I had to stand around with a backpack and laptop waiting until my food came out so that I could sit anywhere other than around the counter.

The space itself is pretty dismal. It doesn’t look incredibly clean, though I didn’t actually check their health code score. There is counter space to eat in the incredibly cramped front room, and there’s also a seating area back past the trash cans.

• Butterhead Greens Cafe in Savannah, Georgia
      The decor was nearly nonexistent and the back room looked a bit dingy, so I opted to sit outside. They do offer a nice amount of seating outside, though you must of course wait for you food before being able to sit outside. The problem outside is that the WiFi doesn’t reach out there very well, so my internet went in and out of service.

I ordered a whole grilled cheese sandwich, add avocado. My total was something like $7.50 plus tip. Although the sandwich was tasty (I got to choose the cheeses and I requested the avocado be added,) the portion size was ridiculous for the price. It was

really only filling because it was bread and cheese. I also realized later that a side salad was supposed to come with my meal (according to the menu) and I never got that. I was really disappointed with the high prices for such tiny portions and mediocre food. The place does seem to have a decent variety of sandwiches, and the salads looked large, but the grilled cheese is overpriced if they don’t give you salad with it!

I wouldn’t recommend this place or go back again unless I was starving and nearby. I wouldn’t recommend it either, unless perhaps you are a SCAD student looking for a quick bite between classes.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 726091618550530/k2311a0926/9.26.13