Melissa and Doug Deluxe Wooden Safari Chunky Puzzle  » Games  »
  • This puzzle is by far the best starter puzzle for a child
  • The only problem is that sometimes we would go a few days with random pieces hiding in his room

• by Crystal

This puzzle is by far the best starter puzzle for a child. Someone had given me this puzzle for my baby shower and I started to let my son play with the pieces around a year old. It is recommended for ages 2+ probably because typically children start to figure out puzzle type matching around that age, however I worked with my son frequently on it and he was

putting the whole thing together by 18 months.

He absolutely loves this puzzle and we really enjoy working with him on it. It is very safe and very educational.

It is crafted by hand and there are absolutely no sharp edges or dangerous materials. The puzzle itself has 8 safari animals on it, which is perfect because my son’s entire room is safari themed.

Along with the large Melissa and Doug stuffed animals in his room, this puzzle truly taught my son the names and appearances of these animals. He was saying their names and recognizing them on his own at a very early age.

When he first started playing with the puzzle he would just put the pieces on top, not really certain how to put them on the board. Then he gradually picked up ...

• Melissa and Doug Deluxe Wooden Safari Chunky Puzzle
      on matching the pieces to the picture on the board, then turning them to fit correctly.

I feel like out of nowhere he was picking up the pieces, naming them and doing the puzzle all on his own. The pieces are perfectly shaped to fit in the corresponding cut out on the board.

The colors are very vibrant and there’s no way for any piece to fit in another

piece’s cut out. He enjoys this puzzle so much that he even likes to take the pieces with him around the room.

The only problem is that sometimes we would go a few days with random pieces hiding in his room! This really is a great puzzle and an excellent choice to start your little one on. I highly suggest not waiting until they’re 2, as my little guy learned it much earlier.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2823091618250730/k2311a0923/9.23.13