Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, headphones  » Electronics  »
  • The HD 280 Pro have an over-ear design, which is what I prefer

• by H. Munn

I must concede that I am a bit of audiophile. Earphones/headphones don’t cut it for me unless and until I can hear almost every background instrument as well. Previously, I had Beats by Dr. Dre, which I have reviewed earlier.

To be concise, I was glad I sold them off on eBay. The Sennheiser HD 280 Pro were recommended highly by a friend once I was in that gray area in-between headphones. I did a quick take on the specifications and bought them right away.

I wasn’t disappointed. The HD 280

Pro have an over-ear design, which is what I prefer. They earcups are very well padded and have a very large diameter so that it can cover almost every size of ears.

These headphones are black with Sennheiser text but they do look nice. Additionally, they weigh a meager 7. 8 ounces so you won’t have an trouble keeping them on for a long time.

Coming to technicalities, the headphones have a 64 ohm impedance. For those of you who have no clue about ohms, generally higher the ohms the more output is required to make the headphones sound good. Normally a range of 32-80 ohms is what home users should aim for.

Going farther than this would require a headphone amp. Therefore, these headphones are good for your computers, laptops, tablets, iPods etc. The frequency range of this headset is 8 Hz to 25 kHz so you are going to have a very fine and balanced range of lows, mids and highs unlike the Beats, which, just pump up the bass.

Coming back to the earcups, they use neodymium magnets which increase ...

• Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, headphones
      the SPL (Sound Pressure Level). In addition, there is 32 dB of ambient noise reduction that means that when these headphones on, close to 32 dB of environmental noise will be blocked off. The noise cancellation worked really well for me and helped me really immerse in my film/music experiences and was comparable to Beat’s active voice cancellation even though the noise-cancellation on this headset is circumaural.

Conclusively, I would emphasize that the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro are really excellent for listening to music; the bass is good, the mids are

discernable and the treble is great as well. Although the bass is not quite strong as that in the Beats because it was largely forced in them, so, those of you considering the Beats headset, you shouldn’t because these bad guys are going to blow them away meanwhile saving you a hundred bucks, maybe more, depending upon the vendor. In addition, I would like to mention that this headset does more than a decent job during production as well.

I produce some videos here and there and these headphones have been a great aid during the mixing phase. Highly recommended.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1611091617750730/k2311a0911/9.11.13