Nexus 7 (2012), tablet
  • That didn’t pan out as well as I thought as the first batch of the Nexus 7 (2012) was faulty and had screen issues like bright spots and stability problems like automatic reboots and hanging up
  • When I bought the Nexus 7 it was the first device to come loaded with the Android 4.1 Jellybean OS
  • I would still recommend it, despite the launch of the newer Nexus 7

• by H. Munn

I was all psyched since the time Google announced that they were going to release a 7-inch tablet. So, when the tablet hit the stores I was one of the first ones to lay my hands on it. That didn’t pan out as well as I thought as the first batch of the Nexus 7 (2012) was faulty and had screen issues like bright spots and stability problems like automatic reboots and hanging up. In some cases, as happened with one of my friends, the screen wasn’t even properly screwed and stood up on one corner. I was let down and returned my tablet for a refund. However as it panned out, a couple of months later, it was announced that a new Nexus 7 batch is out which has these issues fixed.

I went on to buy it

from Amazon and this time around it was all sleek and smooth as it was promised to be. So, remember to look for an ‘OK’ in the serial number of your device. If it isn’t there then don’t open it and return it right away because there still might be some remaining tablets in the market from the faulty batch. Coming to the tablet, it is a collaborative effort from Nexus and Asus. It was the first tablet in the Nexus range until the Nexus 10 was introduced later that year which was manufactured by Samsung.

The Nexus 10 is an impeccable 10-inch tablet, though a lot pricier than the 7-inch one, I will review it in detail later. When I bought the Nexus 7 it was the first device to come loaded with the Android 4. 1 Jellybean OS.

Since then I have regularly received updates from Google and now it runs the newest version of Jellybean at 4. 3.

As I have mentioned in my Nexus 7 (2013) review, you can’t go wrong with the Nexus line of products since they are Google’s own. Consequently, you receive updates from Google as soon as they are out and you don’t have to wait months before they come to your device. Under the hood is a Nvidia’s Tegra 3 quad-core chip running at an impressive 1. 2 Ghz which can throttle up to 1. 3 Ghz when doing processor-intensive tasks such as gaming.

As a result, things load quickly and the tablet, on the whole, is very responsive. Although it has slowed down as I have utilized nearly 70% of its storage but it is only minor. However, you shouldn’t let this ...

• Nexus 7 (2012), tablet
      percentage cross 90 as then the performance hit becomes massive. In addition, the tablet has 1 GB of RAM and the model I purchased had 32 GB storage. It came at $250 back when I bought it but now you can get it anywhere between $180-200 depending on the vendor.

The screen has a resolution of 720p and is very beautiful with excellent viewing angles. Reading magazines and books on it is a joy (which is absent on Kindle Fire which requires a hell lot of pinching and zooming while going through magazines) as is playing games. On the point of playing games, Nexus 7 is very fast. I have played very detailed games like Shadow Gun, Dead Trigger and Riptide on it and they have all ran without a hitch. Thanks to the Tegra processor, the water effects

are stupendous.

They are very evident while playing Riptide, Sprinkle and Where Is My Water? The only two games that stuttered on this tablet were Minion Rush and Asphalt 7. The Nexus 7 only has a front-facing 1. 2 MP static focus camera which is rudimentary and only good for video chat sessions on Google Talk or Skype. Additionally, I really liked the rubberized, textured coating on the back of the Nexus 7. It’s been over a year and it is holding up to scratches, unlike the iPad, while providing excellent grip.

I don’t know why Asus ditched it for a matte finish on the Nexus 7 (2013). So, to sum it up, a very good tablet for the price tag. I would still recommend it, despite the launch of the newer Nexus 7. Partly because of the amount of storage you will get for the same money.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1611091617740630/k2311a0911/9.11.13