Beats by Dr. Dre Studio Edition, headphones  » Electronics  »
2.5
  • In fact, I would recommend the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (my current headphone, will review later) in their place or probably the Audio Technica ATH-M40FS (which was my first high-end headphone, I will review it later)
  • Both of which cost considerably less and are more substance than style

• by H. Munn

Beats, the most hyped earphones/headphones of our generation. They aren’t what they seem. Beats have a style statement, yes. Some impressive bass, yes but beyond that they are just your run-of-the-mill headphones.

I could only bear them for close to a month. After that, they went off on eBay. Good things first, these headphones are one of the most stylish looking and trendy headphones that I have seen.

They come in a variety of colors (I had the blue one) and are just bordering on garish with their shiny finish. The earcups are great and very comfortable

thanks to the thick padding. On the outside of the earcup, Beats have a button to initiate noise-cancellation which needs to be turned on in order for the headset to work.

The noise cancellation on this headset is active and requires two AAA batteries, which are housed in a compartment in the left earcup. Additionally, on the right Beats logo there is a toggle switch that lets you mute your headphones when someone is talking to you or you want to hear something instead of your music! This headset also comes with a nice carrying case, sort of like a clamshell. The headphones, being collapsible, fit right in.

An anti-bacterial wipe-cloth is also provided which helps maintain the shine and looks of your headset. Now the bad things, basically, they look all super on the outside but in the working portion, they really lack. The bass is good, though exaggerated, which really distorts music, especially, classical.

So, if you are not a bass-junkie then you would find this headset very unusual at first but, hopefully, you will get used to it with time (although I didn’t). The treble and mids are all mixed together ...

• Beats by Dr. Dre Studio Edition, headphones
      and indiscernible. The highs sound quite metallic as well when compared to other headphones.

So, the audio quality is at the lower bar of what’s expected of such a pricey headset. Additionally, there is persistent noise leakage from these headphones. I have been asked a couple of times on the Metro ride and once in the library to tone down the volume despite the fact that I never go full blast on volume and keep the volume bar midway.

I had tested this aspect of the Beats at home and found it to be true. Also, the

cable transmits a lot of static to the earpieces. I found it while I was working out.

Any sudden or rapid movement of the cable will lead to annoying buzzing in between the music. The touted electronic noise-cancellation of the Beats do nothing in this case. To wrap it up, these headpones don’t come recommended from my side.

In fact, I would recommend the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (my current headphone, will review later) in their place or probably the Audio Technica ATH-M40FS (which was my first high-end headphone, I will review it later). Both of which cost considerably less and are more substance than style.

J.u says :

re : In fact, I would recommend the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (my current headphone, will review later) in their place or probably the Audio Technica ATH-M40FS (which was my first high-end headphone, I will review it later)
Great quality but over priced. Headphones for more than $ 100 is crossing the line. Not knocking the quality, they are good head phones, but their price isn’t worth it when you can get similar quality for a much better price.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1611091617730630/k2311a0911/9.11.13