Breaking Bad: Season 1, Episode 1: Pilot  » TV  »
  • Not only is it often said to be one of the best shows currently on the air, but many argue that it is the greatest show ever

• by David Finniss

There’s been a lot of hype behind this show. I’ve heard nothing but universal praise for it by several people. Not only is it often said to be one of the best shows currently on the air, but many argue that it is the greatest show ever. Combine this with the fact that the show is coming to its conclusion this year and I figured that now was as good a time as any to finally dive in to see what all the fuss was about.

Our main character is Walter White, a high school chemistry teacher who also has a second job working at a car wash. He’s about as straight

laced as they come, being referred to by other characters as a “stick in the mud”, that all changes when he is diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. When he learns about the sort of money that can be made in the drug trade, he decides to use his scientific knowledge to start cooking up meth.

I generally try not to judge first episodes (or first seasons for that matter) too harshly as shows often need time to find their footing. Even if one were to take that out of the equation, this was a fairly strong pilot. The characters are well developed and, for the most part, likable. Even Walter’s wife, Skylar, who has garnered something of a reputation for not being that well received seems well-meaning enough. The few characters that aren’t likable are clearly meant to be as such, so it isn’t really a strike against the writers. Everyone has a distinct personality and they all bounce off of each other rather well.

The circumstances for the show’s premise are established well and we’re given a solid introduction to the concepts that will come into play as well as the players who will be a factor in episodes to come.

While it is just the pilot, Walter has a very clear story arc that puts him through a journey before the journey has even ...

• Breaking Bad: Season 1, Episode 1: Pilot
      started. It makes the episode work well, even as a self contained one and done story. When Walter says that he’s “awake”, you really start to see it. Not only does he start to stand up for himself and his family, but this new career path literally awakens a passion in his marriage that was shown to be in a bit of a rut.

I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of comedy that is present in this episode. Given what I’ve heard about the show, I have a feeling that this won’t be a factor for very long, so I should appreciate it while it lasts. Still, it was nice

to have, even if it is just to act as a contrast to later episodes when things really start to get nuts.

Is it mind-blowing television? Well, not yet, but again, it is just the pilot, so you have to grant some wiggle room. It is, however, a very good episode and a solid start to the series. I look forward to seeing how things play out from here and can already see why people like it as much as they do. Even if I can’t quantify it as “best show on tv” quite yet, I can acknowledge that it is very well put together and made for a very entertaining hour of television.

Jeff Paulson says :

re : Not only is it often said to be one of the best shows currently on the air, but many argue that it is the greatest show ever

Easily one of the top 5 shows of all time. Once you start you will be immediately hooked. I haven’t met one person who has started watching it and not liked it.

Melanie Noell says :

I liked it but definitely wasn’t hooked. I don’t like the portrayal of Skylar I think it’s extremely one-dimensional character development (at least for the 4-5 episodes I have watched) and that alone was enough for me to stop watching. The pilot has a fantastic hook, and it leads you to something very interesting, but the relationship between husband and wife was so off-putting and honestly, after those first few episodes, I simply lost interest.

Lady Sanzenin says :

How many seasons does this have so far? My friend recommended watching it too, but I never got around to watching it.

David Finniss replies :

There’s 5 total.

Kyle Carmean says :

This show is one of my all time favorites. Vince Gilligan is an amazing writer and he is one of my inspirations. The morally ambiguous hero is always a great idea and this show is the best example of it.

Rebecca Lee says :

I have not seen it, but would like to. When does it come on? What channel shows it?

David Finniss replies :

AMC, it is also streaming on Netflix and on AMC’s website.

Mohammad Abid says :

The show is over and trust me it was one hell of a ride, Amazing storyline and terrific performances by all the actors

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 106091617370630/k2311a096/9.6.13