Archos 405 - Multimedia player
2.0
  • When I first read the summary for the archos 405 wifi I was not only impressed but very excited
  • Through an internet search I found that the archos is a frail device, many others had experienced the same problem and the message means I would have to replace the entire hardware - which is a $100 plus value

• by Leola Bellamy

When I first read the summary for the archos 405 wifi I was not only impressed but very excited. Features included videos, internet, media portal that contained dailymotion videos, the ability to download flash games and much more. It was almost too good to be true - especially when I saw it was priced for only $40 on amazon - and it turns out it was.

The archos was small enough to fit in your pocket but very thick (122 x 82 x 15 mm) with a 4 gb memory and the ability to add a SDHC memory card to it. It comes with two small plastic stylus and headphones. The device was touch screen - which

works perfectly after calibrating and you can change the color and wallpaper of the front page. Features such as the internet and internet plug-ins require you to purchase them separately from the device for $30. Thee only free features is the videos, music, flash game download and pictures - if I had bought the speaker docking system then TV connection would also be free.

The videos were amazing but defective. The archos 405 wifi supported MPEG-4 AVI, WMV. with plug-in: H.264, MPEG-2 and AC3 stereo sound. The sound was very loud and the quality of the images absolutely wonderful (sharp, clear), especially for such a small device. However every movie I placed on the

device was corrupted. Every few minutes the page would frizz black, freeze or stop altogether and send me to the home page. After a few times of this I checked them on my computer before I put them on the device. Each time it was perfect and only messed up when it was placed in the archos.

The pictures were fine though it did not have much zoom power. The pdf reader was also an excellent addition and have no complaints other than the fact that if the pdf was too large and you tried to skip pages the device would freeze.

The media portal is no longer supported and I was never able to ...

• Archos 405 - Multimedia player
      successfully download a flash game.

My real problems began when I wanted to buy the internet extension. I went to the archos site to find that they no longer sold or supported the archos plug-ins or the archos device in general. I could add them to my cart but was not able to check out. I attempted to contact customer support. The email is no longer active, the phone number does not work and when I used the live chat I sat there for 15 minutes with no answer or acknowledgement of my presence.

Eventually I was able to find a single ebay seller who sold the archos software however within an hour of me installing the

software my archos refused to come back on. This was due to’404 hardware error’ that I received on the start page nearly every time I tried to turn it on. Each time I choose to restart it - which worked and I would be able to get back to the main page but on that day it would not let me. Through an internet search I found that the archos is a frail device, many others had experienced the same problem and the message means I would have to replace the entire hardware - which is a $100 plus value.

Overall, I do not suggest anyone buy this device - it was a huge waste of money.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 164091617280730/k2311a094/9.4.13