Asus Nexus 7 (2013), tablet
  • I was one of the first people to own the Google Nexus 7 when it came out a little over an year ago and I wasn’t disappointed
  • This time around, I am thoroughly impressed with Google and Asus’s ability to cram in industry-leading specs into such a comparatively, paltry price tag
  • It has a load of impressive specs, like 2GB RAM and a Quadcore Snapdragon processor clocked at 1.5 Ghz, with just $30 on top of the previous model’s cost
  • It has definitely improved thanks to Android 4.3’s support for OpenGL 3.0 and the 400 Mhz Adreno 320 GPU
  • The Nexus 7 (2013) offers the best bang for your buck in the 7-inch tablet range and the best part is that it isn't as heavy on your pocket as the rest of the competition

• by H. Munn

I was one of the first people to own the Google Nexus 7 when it came out a little over an year ago and I wasn’t disappointed. It was excellent in numerous aspects and deserved the high amount of hype it received, especially because of its rock-bottom price point of $200. No, it wasn’t a perfect tablet but it was perfect in the manner of its price-feature combination. I will review it in detail later. So, a year is a long time in the Android tablet industry and so finally Google came up with the second version of its popular 7-inch tablet.

It goes by the same name as its predecessor, which can be very confusing at times. This time around, I am thoroughly impressed with Google and Asus’s ability to cram in industry-leading specs into such a

comparatively, paltry price tag. It has a load of impressive specs, like 2GB RAM and a Quadcore Snapdragon processor clocked at 1. 5 Ghz, with just $30 on top of the previous model’s cost.

Also, being a Nexus device, you receive Android updates as soon as they are released given Google’s precedence for its line of products. Speaking of which, Nexus 7 (2013) comes with the newest Android OS, Jellybean 4. 3 on board. Which isn’t anything major by any means.

It is just a minor refresh centering around bug fixes and some little optimizations here and there. However, it does have Restrictive Profiles which means you can set up user profiles with limitations. Much like Windows accounts on the computer where the administrator can determine the access level of subusers. For example, I have set up an account for

my kids which restricts the apps they use while also password protecting my own account so that they won’t mess around with my account.

One major improvement over Nexus 7 (2012) is the gaming. It has definitely improved thanks to Android 4. 3’s support for OpenGL 3. 0 and the 400 Mhz Adreno 320 GPU.

While playing games such as Asphalt 7, Shark Evolution and Riptide, I noticed that there were fewer jitters than the previous model and there was a lot more detail as well specifically in the reflections/shadows department. The graphics rendering on the new Nexus 7 is also almost impeccable. It is blazing fast but I find it pertinent to mention that when I was playing Asphalt 7, there were some stutters, specifically during crash scenes. Well Asus can’t be blamed for that, Asphalt 7 is one ...

• Asus Nexus 7 (2013), tablet
      of the most graphically demanding Android games out there.

The 1080p display is one of the best tablet displays that I have seen and believe me I have seen them all. The colors look all natural and its very bright. I notice that it is as glowing as ever, even in front of a fluorescent lamp! And it should be since Google claims that Nexus 7 (2013) has the most densely packed pixels around! Thanks to the Nexus 7’s display the movies look really crisp and are a joy watching. Also, I found an interesting feature in this model of Nexus 7; when you pause a movie, while connected to wi-fi, Google scans for any human faces in that scene and brings up info cards on them.

I discovered it by chance and I find it useful in

spotting actors/actresses I don’t know about. Coming to the 5 MP, autofocus camera, it is surprisingly decent! It snaps good quality photos and is an addition over the Nexus 7 (2012) which didn’t have any rear-facing camera. It is a good feature but I don’t think many people go about taking pictures on their tablets. It feels awkward, at least for me.

Music sounds great on this tablet, both with headphones and without thanks to Fraunhofer’s 5. 1 channel speakers. Also, the tablet as a whole is very responsive and never lags, at least in these first few weeks I have been using it. The Nexus 7 (2013) offers the best bang for your buck in the 7-inch tablet range and the best part is that it isn’t as heavy on your pocket as the rest of the competition! Although, I still believe that a SD card slot won’t hurt.

Solomon says :

Asus Nexus is cool but the front camera should be upgraded to enable user’s have a clear image.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 163091617250730/k2311a093/9.3.13