Mad Katz Cyborg R.A.T 9, gaming mouse
  • This weird penchant of mine is heavy on the pocket but is worth it considering that people consider me a walking encyclopedia on everything tech
  • It is the most expensive gaming mouse I have ever owned as it comes in at $140 so it’s definitely for the more committed PC gamers out there
  • I would definitely recommend it to anybody looking to spend some extra bucks on an input device for gaming
  • Only in this aspect do I like Logitech’s high end mice better as they have the lateral-scroll feature built into the main scroll-wheel

• by H. Munn

I am a bit of a gadget freak. I have numerous gadgets lying around my house that I don’t even use after a couple of times. This weird penchant of mine is heavy on the pocket but is worth it considering that people consider me a walking encyclopedia on everything tech. When I am not throwing around money on gadgets, I am being a hardcore PC gamer. I have a lot of high-end PC stuff but, thankfully, I use most of them. Ask any avid gamer about two essential pieces of hardware and he/she will tell you - an excellent mouse and a feature-laden keyboard.

As for the mouse part, no gaming mouse comes better than the Mad Katz Cyborg R. A. T 9. It is the most expensive gaming mouse I have ever owned as it comes in at $140 so it’s definitely for the more committed PC gamers out there. That

said, it is also one of the most customizable mouse I have ever owned and it’s also a great performer.

I would definitely recommend it to anybody looking to spend some extra bucks on an input device for gaming. So, the R. A. T 9 comes with a lot of qualities we expect in high-end gaming mice these days. It has an astonishing 5600 dpi laser sensor, which means it is amazingly fast and very accurate.

When I first bought it, I tried it out with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Counter Strike and Crysis 3. I was blown away by its pitch-perfect response. Playing these first-person shooters, it felt like I had the gun right in my hand. In addition, if you want to vary the dpi while playing there is a button behind the scroll-wheel that lets you do that. If you want to customize it even more then Mad

Katz has included a very handy program that allows you to really tweak the feel of the mouse to your liking.

When you flip the mouse over, a series of weights is held together by a screw. You can unscrew it and remove the weights until you have the overall weight of the mouse to your liking. The screw also doubles as an Allen wrench through which you can go advanced and detach and attach various portions of the mouse to make it feel good in your hand. On the thumb side, you can use the wrench to loosen the thumb-rest so it comes out at an angle or slide it up or down the side until you have it exactly how you want. Additionally, the thumb side actually has a red button whose use I have only figured out recently.

The idea is that when you are playing some shooting ...

• Mad Katz Cyborg R.A.T 9, gaming mouse
      game and you have a sniper rifle in your hand, you will need to have fast mouse control to change positions but on the other hand, when you zoom in on somebody then you might want to have a little more control. This red button provides exactly that. When you press this button R. A. T 9 lowers its dpi which allows you put a more accurate bead on the player you are tracking.

I can’t overstate the importance of this button enough. While on the pinky side, you can use the Allen wrench to attach any one of the three pieces provided by Mad Katz. They have different textures and sizes but I haven’t found much use for this feature. Finally, Mad Katz also includes three wrist pieces, which you can attach to your liking. They vary in inclination with one of them sitting flush.

Then again, this feature is redundant for me. I am very comfortable with the factory-attached piece and haven’t found any need to switch to either of the remaining two. On a final note, a great initiative by the manufacturers is the provision of two batteries instead of one. Therefore, your mouse faces no downtime as you can switch batteries while charging. The only thing I didn’t like about this mouse is the lateral-scroll wheel.

It is just besides the thumb-piece, which is not the most natural angle for me or for that matter, for most gamers. Only in this aspect do I like Logitech’s high end mice better as they have the lateral-scroll feature built into the main scroll-wheel. So, to wrap it up, a lot is going on with the Cyborg R. A. T 9.

It is one of the most customizable mice I have ever seen and I would heartily recommend it to any gamer looking to invest a good amount of money in a near perfect gaming input-device.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 333091617200730/k2311a093/9.3.13