Captain EO, Epcot, Walt Disney World  » Entertainment  »
200 Epcot Center Dr Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
  • As a huge Walt Disney World fan, I’ve had people ask me what my favorite rides are or what my favorite shows are at the parks
  • I can name multiple shows and attractions that I enjoyed over the years, even the others that no longer grace the Walt Disney World Parks and have become part of the Lost or Classic Disney World attractions
  • I think she played the role of the ugly, lonely Supreme Leader perfectly
  • It was an amazing experience, but sadly, with time times change

• by sarahdragon26

As a huge Walt Disney World fan, I’ve had people ask me what my favorite rides are or what my favorite shows are at the parks. I can name multiple shows and attractions that I enjoyed over the years, even the others that no longer grace the Walt Disney World Parks and have become part of the Lost or Classic Disney World attractions. One of those shows was Captain EO, which was featured at the Imagination Pavilion in Epcot. It was replaced by a show named Magic Journeys, which then was replaced by Honey I shrunk the Audience. But before anyone corrects me, Captain EO was reopened in 2010 in Epcot after there was a massive amount of requests to have the show returned. I will admit, I was one of the thousands of people who wanted to see the show’s return.

I’m not afraid to say that I’m a huge fan of Michael Jackson’s early music. Everything until the History album. After that, I just stopped listening. As a child, I liked him and really enjoyed seeing him in this space 3-D film that was just

so cool. Every time I visited Epcot, I made sure we always saw Captain EO. I loved that Anjelica Huston was the Queen with the REALLY long fingernails. That was one of the things I always remembered from that attraction. Was seeing her impossibly long fingernails in the 3-D glasses.

When it came to the storyline of the show, I was a little confused. I mean, from all accounts, he supposed to be going to this planet to see the Supreme Leader, this Queen with the long fingernails, to bring music and color. The planet was all black and white. And he did just that. The music was just out the wall with the beats and vibrations. It just hooks you right into it. Then he starts changing the plain black and white people into people with 80s haircuts and brightly visual outfits that just dance around the room with this huge amount of energy. Everything about this show just caught my attention. The two songs that were sung were, ‘We are here to change the world’ and ‘Another part of me.’ Two of my absolute favorite songs from Michael Jackson.

As for the cast, I have always like Anjelica Houston. I think she played the role of the ugly, lonely Supreme Leader perfectly. She was so dark, yet so afraid of this music and color that this young man was bringing to her throne room. The sounds she made, the faces she made, everything that spoke of her disgust of what he had offering her. The role reminded me of her role in the movie named The Witches where she played a hideous witch that was just pure evil. Michael Jackson wasn’t the greatest actor, but that was not his forte. He was a musician who just wowed his fans when he was at the top of his game. As for his crew of strange creatures, I loved the little fuzzball that flew around. I would always reach out my hand to grab him when he flew at the screen.

The special effects were state of art in 1986 when Captain EO originally was opened in Epcot, with lasers and smoke and lights just going on around the theater as the movie played.

• Captain EO, Epcot, Walt Disney World
      It was an amazing experience, but sadly, with time times change. One of the things I didn’t like when Disney reinstalled Captain EO after it replaced Honey I Shrunk the Audience, was that there were no stars on the ceiling during the show. I looked up, expecting to see the stars as the ship was flying through space and there was nothing. Another huge disappointment was that there were no lasers anymore either. The seats did shake when Captain EO’s ship crashed on the Supreme Leader’s planet, but that was something that was all ready installed from Honey I Shrunk the Audience. The special effects that I remembered from its previous installment were mostly gone. The 3-D elements were there as they should be and the picture quality looked much better than it did when the ride originally first opened, thanks to current technology.

As for the Cast Members who were working the show, I was floored by how little they knew about the history of this show or even what it was about. I overhead a guest ask a Cast Member if Michael Jackson was really

in the show and the Cast Member answered no. It was a robot. I had to do a double-take and I could not stop myself from correcting the Cast Member. I told them that Michael Jackson filmed this show over 20 years ago. The Cast Member then reported me to her manager, saying I was being rude and insulting. I’ve had a huge variety of experiences at Disney and other theme parks, but I have never been told by an employee that I was being rude and insulting for providing facts. The Cast Member then tried to tell us that there was no room in the theater for me and my family. I know the theater is quite big and there were not that many people waiting to see the show, so we went in and enjoyed the show. Afterwards, the manager approached me and said he was sorry for his employee’s behavior.

Captain EO was one of those classic Disney attractions that was very enjoyable. It’s a blast from the past. One of the first 3-D films I had seen a child and one I still enjoy to this day.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5923081616700931/k2311a0823/8.23.13