The Good Mother (movie)
2.5
  • One of my guilty pleasures is watching some of the more modern Lifetime movies, especially if I think that they have fairly interesting plots and fairly tolerable acting
  • One thing that I most definitely disliked about the movie was the acting, since as I mentioned, I thought it was very mediocre
  • The actress who I was most disappointed with in fact was the one who played Cheryl, Melanie’s mother
  • While I’m not totally sure who even directed this film, I think it’s obvious that had the person been more in control and more of a visionary the movie would have been a ton better even with a very low budget
  • While I didn’t completely enjoy this movie in the end, I know people fascinated by Lifetime movies who would enjoy it immensely, and that is why I would recommend it to Lifetime movie lovers

• by Redtape

One of my guilty pleasures is watching some of the more modern Lifetime movies, especially if I think that they have fairly interesting plots and fairly tolerable acting. These can be a little hard to find especially in a sea of low budget movies that Lifetime seems to bring. However, sometimes I’m lucky enough to be able to catch one or even two movies that I actually want to sit and watch with a snack. One of those movies is “The Good Mother”.

It’s not to be confused with another movie of the same name starring the popular actress Diane Keaton which was released in nineteen eighty eight. In fact this one was released a lot more recently and the plots of the two movies are nothing alike. In the Lifetime movie, a troubled young teenager, Jillian who comes from a broken family finds out that her best

friend Melanie is very ill with a rare and serious illness. Melanie’s mother Cheryl offers to have Jillian stay with the family since she claims that she has no idea how long Jillian has left. Whenever Melanie is strong enough to talk, the two girls catch up on times long lost; however, Melanie’s condition soon begins to decline very quickly. On her death bed, Melanie uses her last bit of strength to voice to Jillian that she is sure she was being poisoned by her own mother. She then begs Jillian to do whatever it takes to protect her younger sister after she dies. After Melanie’s death, Jillian is clearly haunted by the accusation and takes it upon herself to investigate, especially after it becomes evident that Melanie’s younger sister is beginning to get sick too.

I’m going to be completely honest and admit that the only thing

that I really liked about this movie was the plot even though I didn’t think that the plot itself was superb. It was the only real reason why I kept watching it, since after a short while into the movie I realised that many of the other elements were quite mediocre in comparison, even though they still weren’t extremely bad like a lot of other low budget movies I have watched in the past.

The reason why I was very attracted to the plot was first of all because of the suspense factor that it contained. The character Jillian was always on the verge of being caught by her dead friend’s mother, since she was always searching through her things for some shred of evidence to prove that she was poisoning her children, as well as following her and keeping track of her activities. The suspense factor of ...

• The Good Mother (movie)
      this movie was also quite high because Jillian had a limited amount of time to prove that Cheryl was poisoning Melanie’s younger sister before she died of the same “mysterious illness”.

On the other hand I also disliked the plot because I didn’t think that it was very creative. I felt that Lifetime had a million other movies with plots similar to this one, and that helped make the movie less enjoyable for me.

One thing that I most definitely disliked about the movie was the acting, since as I mentioned, I thought it was very mediocre. Somehow I felt that the movie could have actually been a lot better and more suspenseful had the actors been more skilful and more research done into developing their characters, despite the fact that the movie had somewhat of a cliche plot.

The actress who I was most disappointed with in fact

was the one who played Cheryl, Melanie’s mother. I didn’t think that she played a very believable psychopath and came off as a very generic Lifetime movie psychopath mother to me. There was nothing creative and memorable about her acting, when I felt that she had the potential to steal the show.

Another thing that disappointed me about the movie was the director, because I felt as if everything mediocre boiled down to mediocre directing and acting. While I’m not totally sure who even directed this film, I think it’s obvious that had the person been more in control and more of a visionary the movie would have been a ton better even with a very low budget.

While I didn’t completely enjoy this movie in the end, I know people fascinated by Lifetime movies who would enjoy it immensely, and that is why I would recommend it to Lifetime movie lovers.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 118081616170831/k2311a088/8.8.13