Crunch Fitness, Gym Chain  » Business  »
Bellevue, WA
  • After gaining some weight, I decided to research an affordable gym that I could join and get back in shape
  • I was pretty impressed with these prices, but decided I would research the company on some bogs and review sites
  • You can definitely feel relaxed and comfortable here
  • The only thing I noticed was the fact that the had some young employees who were kinda messing around and talking, whole there were people waiting at the front desk
  • If you consider buying a membership, be cautious of your billing account and make sure you look at reviews for that specific location

• by Lindsay McCauley

Let me preface this review by saying that although my body isn’t as fit as it used to be, I am a former competitive volleyball player and know my way around a gym pretty well. After gaining some weight, I decided to research an affordable gym that I could join and get back in shape. I was quite turned off by the high rates a lot of popular gym memberships were, but came across a gym membership that boasted a $9.99 monthly membership fee. I was immediately interested and started reading up on it. The gym chain is called, “Crunch.” I read every possible thing on their website and realized that the 10 dollar membership only included the actual gym. Their peak membership is $19.99 a month. That membership includes all of their fitness classes and unlimited tanning. Still a pretty rockin’ deal I thought! I also realized that on their website, they were offering a major discount on the initial enrollment fee, which at the time was 29 dollars, a pretty big difference from the normal 59 dollars it orginally costs to enroll. So the total of enrollment at the time was 29 dollars, plus your first month fee, (20 dollars a month for the peak membership, 10 for basic.) I was pretty impressed with these prices, but decided I would research the company on some bogs and review sites.

What I came across online reguarding the gym chain, “Crunch,” didnt sit with me too well. I read several reviews about poor customer

service, several accounts of stolen items from their locker rooms and a hefty amount of people having financial problems with management. Quite a lot of people had mentioned that they had tried to cancel their membership, and were charged for several months after they initially canceled their membership. Some also mentioned that it was almost impossible to cancel a membership, because of their poor financial organization and poor customer service. They mentioned it took several months to finally get their money back, and that the people they talked to tried to convince them to stay with their company. A good majority of those people said that they switched to 24 hour fitness. I even read an article titled, “Joing Crunch is like joining the mafia.” I also saw an article that mentioned a former crunch employee had allegedly been charged for battery against a gym member! Yikes!

Although I was reluctant to join, the price was right and it looked like they had a pretty good amount of equipment.

So I enrolled online at their Bellevue location.

A day later, my mom decided to join. However, the enrollment fee had gone up a random 10 dollars. What? I had only signed up 24 hours prior and it went up randomly. My mom decided to call customer service, and the lady was rude beyond belief. She rudely said, “Well hers was cheaper because she’s going to be charged the full 40 dollar mantience fee, and yours wil only be 30.” What? No where on their website did they mention a “mantience fee.” A 40 dollar mantience fee is charged to your bill annually. How come I wasn’t aware of this? Kinda shady if you ask me. Especially because you never know when this mantience fee is added. But I figured oh well, still cheaper than most gyms. So I decided to give it a go.

My first day at crunch was on a Sunday at around 6 o’clock. It wasn’t packed, which was nice. It’s not overwhelming, and their moto, “no judgments,” looked like it was actually in effect. There were your regular gym rats, but there were also people of all fitness levels and body types, and it seemed like no one really judged you. There were a few overweight adults, and the trainers all worked them like any other member, and that their personal trainers did a great job encouraging them and helping them get a great workout. You can definitely feel relaxed and comfortable here.

I came to the front desk with my online receipt, and the guy was pretty nice. He snapped my picture, gave me a key card, and off I went to the cardio machines. The only thing I noticed was the fact that the had some young employees who were kinda messing around and talking, whole there were people waiting at the front desk.

The next day I came in, I worked out and all was good.

After a few days of working out, I decided I’d try their tanning. (I get ...

• Crunch Fitness, Gym Chain
      this free; I have the peak membership.) I went up to the front desk and said, “Id like to go tanning, please.” The lady was a short little Asian girl and looked at me like I was crazy. I’d never been tanning before and had no idea what I was doing. She said, “follow me,” and lead me to a tanning booth. She opened up the door and said, “Here ya go, ill set it for 10.” I quickly said, “Can I just have 4 minutes please? I’m very fair and burn easily.” She said, “fine,” and walked off. I got undressed, slathered on my lotion and noticed the warning on the back of the door stating that going tanning without goggles was super dangerous, and that legally they were required to make sure I wear them. So I got dressed, and asked the same lady if I could get some goggles. She said, “we don’t have any. You don’t have to wear them if you’re going for that short of a time.” I got a little upset and she reached into a drawer and pulled out a pair of those UV eye stickers that protect your eyes from radiation. She said, “Here. We usually charge you for them but just take them for today.” I said thank you, and returned to the booth. I got undressed, put on the eye stickers, and pressed the on button. It didnt work. Ugh. I went back out to the front and she was really annoyed with
      me and said its not that hard to figure it out.

A friendly employee, an older Russian woman, walked over to me and said, “Here ill show you, sweetie. It’s your first time, I would expect you to be a little confused.” We walked back there, and turns out the booth that I was in, was out of order. The bulb needed to be changed. So I actually wasn’t doing anything wrong, their tanning booth wasn’t working.

The woman politely opened up the other booth and It worked no problem.

Not the best experiance with the tanning, and even though I’ve tried to go to tan regularly, it seems as if their booths are extremely low radiation, considering I haven’t even burned; I have the fairest skin you’ve ever seen.

My conclusion of crunch: For the price, it’s everything you need. They don’t have great marks for customer service, and I think that runs pretty similar with all their locations. Great facilities, a decent number of classes. If you are seriously interested in fitness, I would consider joining a more expensive gym for better customer service and a more quality experiance. If you consider buying a membership, be cautious of your billing account and make sure you look at reviews for that specific location. Also take in to consideration the possible dangers of trusting a gym chain with your credit card information, and maybe see if it may be possible to pay with cash. Always lock up your stuff, and bring your own water and sweat towel.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 415081615820831/k2311a085/8.5.13