Mekong Express Bus from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City  » Travel  »
2020 National Road 5, Phnom Penh
  • I like to travel by flight for long distances (600 km or more) and by train for short and medium distances
  • When we planed to travel from Phnom Penh (Cambodia) to Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City or HCMC for short, Vietnam) I wanted to book a flight, but since my wife wanted to have an experience crossing the land border, then I booked seats in a coach as the railway connection between the two cities was closed years ago
  • The travel cost is just USD 13 including wet tissue paper, a couple of cakes or bread, and a bottle of mineral water
  • I noticed that the worst seats are those located near the toilet

• by Pusaka

I like to travel by flight for long distances (600 km or more) and by train for short and medium distances. When we planed to travel from Phnom Penh (Cambodia) to Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City or HCMC for short, Vietnam) I wanted to book a flight, but since my wife wanted to have an experience crossing the land border, then I booked seats in a coach as the railway connection between the two cities was closed years ago. Among some coach

operators, finally I chose Mekong Express Bus as it is very much recommended by travelers through Trip Advisor.

Since the bus company does not accept online payment then the only method is by cash in their office. You need to book two or three days in advance otherwise you may not get a seat.

The travel cost is just USD 13 including wet tissue paper, a couple of cakes or bread, and a bottle of mineral water. They charge no booking fee.

Do select seats number 1C or 1D to get better view (the driver is in the front of seats number 1A and 1B). Moreover, there is a food box right in front of you, and you can use it as a stand for your camera to take much better shots along the way.

I noticed that the worst seats are those located near the toilet. We took 2 pm coach, and before that we had our lunch in a hurry, as we ...

• Mekong Express Bus from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City
      did not have much spare time.

Later I regretted as there is a café selling meals at reasonable price for lunch at the coach terminal. The journey took us slightly more than seven hours including tea/meal time in the late afternoon just before crossing the border and time for doing immigration matters.

When the coach stops at the restaurant, do buy your dinner there but do not eat in the restaurant, because you will be in a long queue while the time

is limited up to 30 minutes only. Allow yourself more spare time to eat in the air-conditioned coach rather than in the hot and humid restaurant.

Having meal in the coach is not prohibited anyway. The driver is calm and very careful.

His assistance is young, very hospitable, and the most important thing is that he speaks English. He acted as our guide by giving information about some important places.

We arrived at Saigon at 9:15 pm. For short, the journey with Mekong Express is very pleasant.

zjadey says :

Mekong Express is recommended when you are not in a hurry and if you are in a very tight budget.

If not, the long grueling travel in a small space for foreigners especially long legged ones will be very uncomfortable plus the road/s are not develop.

If any traveler who are not mentioned above, then I recommend mini van or other means of transportation in crossing the border.

Sheeryl says :

re : When we planed to travel from Phnom Penh (Cambodia) to Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City or HCMC for short, Vietnam) I wanted to book a flight, but since my wife wanted to have an experience crossing the land border, then I booked seats in a coach as the railway connection between the two cities was closed years ago
Me and my family took a Mekong Express bus from Pnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh last 2013. The seats were comfortable and it is just like on a plane. Since we enjoyed the coach accommodation, we again booked a Mekong express bus from Singapore to Malaysia. We were given food and drink on board and aside from looking at the sceneries, we were also given headseats to watch movies or listen to music on our own preferred seats. My asian travel last 2013 was really enjoyable and convenient through the Mekong Express bus shuttle.

Krishna says :

re : I noticed that the worst seats are those located near the toilet
I like to travel by flight forlong distances because it’s take short time to reach a destination and it is comfortable to travel this much long distance.but in train there is so much crowd and i dont like that.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382081615641031/k2311a082/8.2.13