Jack the Giant Slayer (movie)  » Movies  »
2.5
  • I had a few expectations for it, especially since my curiosity is always piqued by movies which are based off of the plots of fairytales, myths and legends, which I have always enjoyed reading
  • As I mentioned earlier, I was very disappointed in the movie and one of the reasons why was because I thought that the plot was very lukewarm
  • However, there was literally nothing memorable about the plot that I can definitely say will have people remember that the movie even existed in the first place within a year or more
  • When I think of the movie, the idea of the giants, especially an army of giants attacking the world puts a lot of fear inside of me
  • I wouldn't recommend this movie to adults, since most adults might find it both silly and just plain unimpressive or worth their attention

• by Redtape

Even though I have not watched many movies this summer as a result of a lack of time, the movie “Jack the Giant Slayer” was one of the very few that I did, especially since I was looking forward to seeing it ever since I first saw the trailer posted. I had a few expectations for it, especially since my curiosity is always piqued by movies which are based off of the plots of fairytales, myths and legends, which I have always enjoyed reading. However, after sitting down and actually watching this movie, a lot of those expectations were shot down by my disappointment because even though I long figured that the movie wasn’t going to be perfect; it was still so much less than I had expected.

Jack the Giant Slayer is a movie based on the popular children’s fairytale of Jack and the Beanstalk. In the movie, when Jack was a young child, he liked

to hear the story of how an ancient king, Erik defeated an army of giants by using an enchanted crown to control them and trap them in a world high above the one that the humans called home. The kingdom’s little princess Isabelle also shared a love for the same story and even though they were both from different socio-economic worlds and had not even met, their parents would read it to them each night before they died of the plague.

The movie soon follows both characters as they have gotten a few years older and are on different paths. Jack now lives with his uncle and has the job of selling the only horse they possess at the market in town while Isabelle has run off without her guards since she wants to associate with the town’s people. They both meet briefly for the first time, and it is only after this very brief encounter that Jack is traded “magical beans” for his horse, and warned to keep them away from water. Nevertheless, the beans do come in contact with water, on a rainy night when Jack is at home again and Isabelle seeks refuge from the rain in his house. When the water catches one of the beans it grows into a giant beanstalk that traps the princess Isabelle at the top. Out of guilt and since he has developed a crush on Isabelle he volunteers to be one of the men to climb it and look for her. However, it is only until he has gone on this adventure that he discovers that not only is the story about the ancient King Erik real but, that he has climbed right into the middle of a royal conspiracy.

As I mentioned earlier, I was very disappointed in the movie and one of the reasons why was because I thought that the plot ...

• Jack the Giant Slayer (movie)
      was very lukewarm. I didn’t think that there was anything especially spectacular about it and that most of the so called twists and turns were very predictable. For example it followed the same basic storyline that many movies seem to follow, which is an ordinary underdog transformed into a hero through extraordinary circumstances, that of course involves him trying to save a girl he has a crush on and the world. However, there was literally nothing memorable about the plot that I can definitely say will have people remember that the movie even existed in the first place within a year or more.

One of the things that I also didn’t like about the movie were the giants, which were CG generated. I felt like whoever designed them or whoever approved the designs didn’t seem to get that the world was their oyster when it came to designing creatures that were supposed to be large and frightening.

When I think of the movie, the idea of the giants, especially an army of giants attacking the world puts a lot of fear inside of me. However, the movie just didn’t really convey those emotions properly.

One thing I did like about the movie though was the acting. Funny enough, I thought that the movie contained a lot of great actors, even though they didn’t have much to work with, and by this I mean the plot and the script, since I also believe that the script wasn’t well written either.

I don’t have a favourite scene in the movie, since none in my opinion were impressive enough to be considered as a favourite.

I wouldn’t recommend this movie to adults, since most adults might find it both silly and just plain unimpressive or worth their attention. However, I think that young children might accept it a little more even though the movie does contain a little violence.

juliana says :

This movie was awesome.it showed that a guy from humble beginning can be a king and jack was also a brave guy to stand up to the giants against all odds.I give this movie 4stars

Grecy says :

I agree with you, this movie is not interesting. Maybe I get the impression that it is the same as the one I’ve known from childhood. This movie is just a love story that the prince charming rescue his princess then meet the bad guys who are the Giants and then and there. The Giants are gross. I hate them. I don’t like looking at them that is why I did not watch the movie again when it was shown in HBO.

Simply-Special says :

re : However, there was literally nothing memorable about the plot that I can definitely say will have people remember that the movie even existed in the first place within a year or more
I thought it was a cute film. Although I must admit, I will remember it mostly because Nicholas Hoult (Jack) has the lead role in the movie Warm Bodies which I LOVED.

Azriel says :

This movie is a new approach to the fairy tale jack and the beanstalk. Of coirse we were all used to Jack being a lottle boy and when he is an adult that already can have a lovelife then it can be interesting. I like this movie not only for the story as it is nothing new but also of the actions and animations this movie has. I love movies that has a good amount of animation in it and so for that I do like this movie and gives it a good thumbs up.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1130071615340931/k2311a0730/7.30.13