Space Cadet - Family Guy Season 11  » TV  »
  • I am pleased to say that I exactly enjoyed this episode, which I can’t say the same thing for the most of the season 11 episodes
  • I also would not be able to forgive myself if I didn’t mention Jinx the Robot that was tormenting Chris at Space Camp, because he was in the movie Space Camp released in 1986, which was based on the Space Camp experience
  • There were a few things that I noticed right away that were incorrect, but I doubt they were trying to be correct in landmarks and locations of the Space Camp and the Kennedy Space Center area
  • As for the episode as a whole, I think it spent too much time going to cutaways

• by sarahdragon26

Family Guy’s 11th season had so many hits and misses, that it was almost painful to see. Strangely, when I saw the title of the 9th episode, Space Cadet, I honestly thought it was going to be about Chris dressing up in a spacesuit and asking Miss Lockheart out again. I had no idea where it was going to go. I am pleased to say that I exactly enjoyed this episode, which I can’t say the same thing for the most of the season 11 episodes.

This episode is about Lois and Peter calling Chris stupid and when they try to make him feel better, they want to send him to camp. Somehow, a pamphlet for Space Camp was in a pile of pamphlets that were camps for the mentally challenged. Titles like Camp Sit and Stay. I liked that one. Basically said it all about how much intelligence Lois and Peter thought that Chris had. Chris ends up going to Space Camp and immediately

learns that it’s much harder then he thought and when he calls Lois and Peter to bring him home, they take a tour of the space shuttle and accidently launch it into space. The rest of the episode is about them trying to get home in one piece, Griffin style.

I went to been to Space Camp, a long time ago, and I visit Kennedy Space Center as much as I can to give my son the knowledge of the history behind US Space Travel. It’s a very educational experience. What overjoyed me about this episode is that while it focused on some of the more comical parts of the Family Guy characters, they did a great deal inside the shuttle and at the space center. My son was glued to the screen when it came to those parts. I am a huge supporter of NASA and of the US Space Program, so I was glad to see the episode was not making fun of Space Travel and the shuttles themselves, but in a way, they were paying it forward. Or at least, that’s what I saw. Yes, people like Peter would go into space and be more interested in the scores of sports game happening on Earth then in the majesty of space, but most people would be in awe of that. I know I would.

As for the jokes throughout the episode, some I got, some I didn’t. I’ve heard of the TV series Breaking Bad, but I’ve never seen it. Never had any interest in seeing it. But that didn’t stop me from laughing when Peter’s eyes were wide as the commercial told him that he would never stop talking about Breaking Bad. It was a perfect example of how some TV shows and commercials seem to brainwash us into washing them by providing messages that we don’t pick up. I got a huge laugh when Peter gave Brian the cheat code for Konami games. I had ...

• Space Cadet - Family Guy Season 11
      to do a double take because I had not played any of those games in years and when he said the code, I knew exactly what he was talking about. I also would not be able to forgive myself if I didn’t mention Jinx the Robot that was tormenting Chris at Space Camp, because he was in the movie Space Camp released in 1986, which was based on the Space Camp experience. It was a nice little tribute that was thrown in there.

There were a few things that I noticed right away that were incorrect, but I doubt they were trying to be correct in landmarks and locations of the Space Camp and the Kennedy Space Center area. The fact that the Griffins were able to drive right past the VA or Vehicle Assembly Building was completely wrong because you can’t do that. It’s in a secured area that only vehicles with access or Kennedy Space Center Tour Buses can enter. Another incorrect location

was when Brian was looking out the windows of the Saturn V building, where the Saturn V Apollo rocket is housed, you can clearly see the launch pad. It almost right on top of the building itself. It didn’t matter that there was a shuttle sitting on the pad. In truth, outside the real Saturn V building, are places to sit and looked across the canal at the launch pads, which are quite a distance away.

As for the episode as a whole, I think it spent too much time going to cutaways. It was funny with the collection of cutaways and one-liners about how stupid Chris was, but it did not have the real feeling of a Family Guy episode. Not up to the funny standards that Family Guy had when it first started. I loved seeing the episode be about space travel and the shuttles, but I was sad to see that the humor that I had come to enjoy from Family Guy was slowing dying.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1030071615320931/k2311a0730/7.30.13