Blue Bunny Vanilla Ice Cream, not for those with allergies  » Food  »
0.5
  • Unfortunately it takes a few days for the reaction to completely subside

• by Vince Napoli

For the allergic in this world, eating ice cream isn’t exactly an easy thing. I was born with the peanut/tree nut allergy and always have to be vigilant when buying food especially ice cream. Since the FDA requires allergen labeling it’s gotten a lot easier for sure, but still there is a log of grey area, which leads me to this potentially life saving

review for someone out there.

I recently purchased Blue Bunny Vanilla Ice Cream from Wal-Mart and as usual I checked the ingredients. Milk, skim milk, sugar, egg yokes, natural vanilla extract and vanilla bean specks.

It listed Allergen information as :Contains Eggs and milk. I am not allergic to any of those ingredients and so I brought it home and ate it.

Within 15 minutes my arms broke out in a full rash. Not just an ordinary rash, but large dense lumps! I went over to my brother in law’s house (luckily he’s a nurse and lives two doors down) He asked what I had eaten and my wife right away thought of the ice cream and she even worried about that beforehand for ...

• Blue Bunny Vanilla Ice Cream, not for those with allergies
      some strange reason.

I took Benedryl and it subsided for the most part. I’m on the third day now of the rash coming back from time to time.

Unfortunately it takes a few days for the reaction to completely subside. I’m very lucky that the cross contamination didn’t result in anaphylactic shock which often results in death.

The sad fact is that

the FDA does NOT require companies to label if a product is made in the same facility or on the same shared equipment as a known common allergen. It is purely voluntary.

So I urge you to not trust this company if you have a food allergy. The sad part is that the Ice Cream tasted wonderful! Oh well.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2725071614961031/k2311a0725/7.25.13