Archipelago Botanicals ‘Excursion’ Glass Candle Jar in Fiji
  • I decided to try Archipelago Botanicals because (1) they use 70% soy wax and essential oils (which is a HUGE deal to me because I refuse to burn paraffin because of all the toxins), the candles smell amazing, and the candles seem to have pretty good throw
  • My favorite part of the scent is that it smells very natural
  • Because it is really strong, I would advise people to avoid blind-buying it
  • This is definitely the type of candle that requires supervision AT ALL TIMES
  • I think if they used a different material for the wick, it wouldn't produce so much black smoke

• by Yvette

You know how every apartment complex has that one tenant who loves to cook pungent seafood dishes? Well, that person is me. So it is no wonder why I was on a hunt for a candle that can make my apartment smell less embarrassing.

I decided to try Archipelago Botanicals because (1) they use 70% soy wax and essential oils (which is a HUGE deal to me because I refuse to burn paraffin because of all the toxins), the candles smell amazing, and the candles seem to have pretty good throw. I picked up Fiji because I was looking for a nice summery scent.

Fiji’s main notes are coconut, lemon leaf, and sugar cane. I mostly smell the coconut, a little bit of burnt sugar, and a

slight hint of woodiness. I would say that the scent is unisex. Men can easily have this in their homes without worrying about smelling feminine. Women can also enjoy the sophistication of this scent. My favorite part of the scent is that it smells very natural. In fact, it reminds me of the time I visited the beach in the Philippines when I was a teen.

The throw is UNBELIEVABLE. I can light this in my kitchen and I’ll be able to smell it in my bedroom. Even when it is unlit, I can easily smell this. Because it is really strong, I would advise people to avoid blind-buying it. It is quite heavy, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it induced headaches in some people.

Personally, I have never had any issues with headaches, but the strength of the scent can be quite overpowering. I actually enjoy that, because I use this candle to hide the godawful, lingering smells of my cooking!

The candle’s appearance is nice, though not the nicest packaging I’ve seen. First, the candle is straight up BROWN. When it hardens after being lit, it looks like the color of…well, you know. The candle comes in an apothecary style jar. It has stickers of the logo on the lid and around the opening of the jar. I personally think the stickers cheapen the look a little bit, though this can easily be solved using goo-gone. The glass is very durable, however. I am sure I will reuse it for ...

• Archipelago Botanicals 'Excursion' Glass Candle Jar in Fiji
      decorative storage once I melt the entire candle.

I mentioned that this candle is mostly made of soy wax, which is supposed to make the candle burn cleanly and evenly. While the candle does an excellent job burning evenly, I cannot say with confidence that the candle is free of soot. I trim it regularly and even cut down the wick to about 1/8 of an inch. I also try to burn it for no more than 3 hours at a time. Still, I see black soot accumulate on the edge of the jar and near the wick. This is definitely the type of candle that requires supervision AT ALL TIMES. It is extremely annoying! I am a little afraid that it may sound off the smoke detector. Furthermore, the smoke gets in the way of the beautiful scent! I really don’t want my apartment to smell like a bonfire on the beach.

Now, I do love the scent and the throw of this candle. It is very difficult for me to find summer scents that can permeate my entire apartment. However, at about $17.50-19.50 a pop, I was quite disappointed with how much soot it produced. (I mean come on, it’s a soy candle for Pete’s sake!) I have a feeling that the wick is the culprit. I think if they used a different material for the wick, it wouldn’t produce so much black smoke. Bottom line is, it saddens my heart to say that I will not be repurchasing this candle.

Jennifer Davis says :

A friend of mine bought me this exact candle. I like soy candles because they burn cleaner, but I have to agree with you about the amount of ash that was all over the sides of this candle. I have had much better soy candles than this one.

MooDMouse says :

Standard candles on the market are made from paraffin. Which is a byproduct of petroleum. Highly toxic when it burns. And many wicks on commercial candles that are made of paraffin are lead based. Also highly toxic.
If you light a candle and see black smoke rising from the wick that’s what is going into your lungs. Because it is filling the air that you breathe.

If you go to a craft store in the candle section you’ll see large white blocks of paraffin wax. Looks really clean and like wax should . But that is because it has been bleached from what was the black gray oozy appearance that it has when it is first collected from the base of the petroleum that it derives from.

Soy candles are a new market item but their label is deceiving. “Soy Candle”, can still be made of paraffin. What allows the soy label to affix is that it also contains a small amount of soybean oil. Which is a vegetable oil of course.

The best qualify candle is always beeswax. Burns pure, and with a cotton wick, is the healthiest candle.
Beeswax is very expensive now days and largely due to the bee-aids that has devastated the bee industry.

If you can make your own beeswax candles using pure essential oil and cotton wicks you’re better off.
Yankee Candle is one of the most expensive brand names out there. All their jar candles, unless labeled otherwise, are made from toxic paraffin.
Not a wise candle to burn if you have asthma or any bronchial issues. And absolutely not advised for houses that have newborns or infants . The fumes can devastate their health.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 538071613530831/k2311a078/7.8.13