America’s Sweethearts 2001 Movie
1.5
  • The film immediately gave me the feeling that I was watching a soap-opera made into a movie
  • Out of the whole film, I loved the ending
  • I wish more movies were like this so the public would stop idolizing famous people, who are just normal or insane people when the cameras go off
  • The movie itself was so unenjoyable, that I kicked myself for buying the BluRay version of it

• by sarahdragon26

America’s Sweethearts is one of those movies that has a star-studded cast, with promises of comedy and entertainment. It didn’t even deliver part of that promise. The movie was released in 2001. The film immediately gave me the feeling that I was watching a soap-opera made into a movie. America’s Sweethearts tell the story about how everything is just so love-dovey and prefect on the screen, but when the lights go off and the cameras aren’t looking, is when the real monsters come out. When actors stop being actors and

become real people. I didn’t see much about this movie that would bring me back to view it multiple times. Maybe once or twice every few years. It had a minimal effect on me.

There is very little about this film that is favorable. It’s filled with a huge cast of famous actors and actresses, but only a handful of them are any good. I feel sorry for Julia Roberts’ character, but in truth, I spent most of my time yelling at her to just slap her sister. I guess

you could say I felt sympathy, but also annoyance. More annoyance than sympathy, in truth.

As for the comedy of the film, it mostly came from Billy Crystal. And that was only in quick one-liners or quick scenes. I was getting ready to turn off the movie ten minutes into it, but stopped when I saw Christopher Walken and learned a little about his character. A crazy, genius director who was directing this stupid, time-travel movie that these two actors who are dubbed by the media as America’s Sweethearts are ...

• America's Sweethearts 2001 Movie
      featured in. It just didn’t seem right, so I continued to watch. I even forced myself not to hit the fast-forward button until I saw Christopher Walken again.

Out of the whole film, I loved the ending. And that was the only part I actually sat down and watched. It was the viewing of the movie, which contained all the outtakes that the cast didn’t know that they were being filmed. Those scenes were made into a movie about what goes on behind the scenes of a movie production and

the real faces behind these so-called Sweethearts. The reactions from the actors and Christopher Walken’s lines just made it enjoyable for me. I wish more movies were like this so the public would stop idolizing famous people, who are just normal or insane people when the cameras go off.

The movie itself was so unenjoyable, that I kicked myself for buying the BluRay version of it. Even thou it was on sale. I put it in the maybe see again shelf because it will be lucky if it even gets that.

Anna Stephens says :

Here is a quick run down without giving too much away. Julia Roberts plays the under-appreciated sister of Cathrine Zata-Jones the Diva. Billy Crystal is the Hollywood slimy promotions guy that will do or say what ever it takes to sell a movie that has a list of it’s own problems. John Cusack is the on and off air spouse of the Diva.
I personally loved the way this movie was put together. As it was making fun of itself and the movie industry, it also told us an love story. Billy Crystals character explains how even though we all know deep down that stunts are made at the expense of the actors and actresses, the truth is we don’t really care and it sales movie tickets. The fake smiles and underhandedness of the actors was classic.
When your are deciding if you want to watch this movie it boils down to taste if you don’t like comedy and people making fun of their careers you probably won’t like this romantic comedy but, your girlfriend probably will.

sarahdragon26 replies :

Thanks for the reply, Anna. I enjoyed certain parts of the movie, but I can’t agree with your opinion that a girlfriend would like this movie. It is romantic in parts and has it’s comedy, but it just doesn’t grab me the way I was hoping it would. Hope it did you, thou. Thanks again. Happy reading

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1117061612150830/k2311a0617/6.17.13