Epic the Movie (2013)
  • I found myself being transported back to my childhood when I would have watched such films
  • Plenty of visual humor provided throughout by Slug & Snail comedy duo, Mub & Grub, keep the whole experience light hearted and fun
  • After the full hour and forty minutes of Epic, I think I'd had quite enough
  • Okay I'll admit I somewhat enjoyed the movie, but didn't feel it was one I could watch over and over again like so many animated movies from my childhood

• by Josh Ball

Another fun-filled family adventure movie is here; from the makers of the Ice Age series and Rio, Epic feels to me like a magical combination of The Borrowers and Fern Gulley. I found myself being transported back to my childhood when I would have watched such films. However I did have to exercise suspension of disbelief at various points.

Okay so suppose it is possible that there is an advanced race of tiny men living in the forest, and suppose a human girl could be shrunk down to micro level to protect some bulb

from being taken by evil forces. What I did have trouble with was the mixing pot of different accents turning up throughout the movie, from British to American and even Irish. It just seems a little ridiculous.

The story wastes no time getting going, so those little rug-rats shouldn’t lose interest early on. Plenty of visual humor provided throughout by Slug & Snail comedy duo, Mub & Grub, keep the whole experience light hearted and fun. On another level, and I suppose what this tale is really all about, is the constant struggle between

the forces of good and evil or life and decay. On the good side you had the leaf men, lead by our hero Ronin. The baddies are the boggins, lead my the evil Mandrake. I felt these bad guys were a bit too sinister in some scenes, which may cause very small children to become scared easily. The attention to detail in this movie is intriguing, the leaf men ride around on happy humming birds, and somewhat stereotypically the boggins flying to battle with on there black birds of death, ravens to you ...

• Epic the Movie (2013)
      and me.

After a while the storyline had me somewhat gripped, but I felt a little bit let down that this film didn’t really live up to same excitement I got out of Fern Gulley as a child. Perhaps this is just down to age, or maybe the modern elements of the movie, such as including an Ipod, contributed to it losing it’s magic. Lots of eccentric characters enhance the whacky feel of the whole thing, from the crazy scientist that no one believes to Nim Galuu, the magical singing caterpillar.

After the full hour

and forty minutes of Epic, I think I’d had quite enough. Okay I’ll admit I somewhat enjoyed the movie, but didn’t feel it was one I could watch over and over again like so many animated movies from my childhood. I guess I’m not the typical target audience for this kind of motion picture any more, but I did get some sense of nostalgia when watching it. Also the sounds of excited laughter heard in the theater throughout, tells me that the little ones liked it, and I suppose that’s all that matters.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1117061612120830/k2311a0617/6.17.13