Born Under A Million Shadows by Andrea Busfield, book  » Books  »
  • It's not often that I enjoy reading tales of peril and hardship, set in war torn Afghanistan
  • The ending was possibly the best ending of a book I have ever read

• by Josh Ball

Wow! What a fantastic book.

When it was first suggested to me that I read Born Under A Million Shadows (by my grandmother), I’ll admit I was skeptical. It’s not often that I enjoy reading tales of peril and hardship, set in war torn Afghanistan. However, this is not merely a story of war and destruction; a tale of love, friendship and hope shines through in this bizarrely informative novel. Written by British Author Andrea Busfield, who lived in Afghanistan herself.

So our story starts with a young boy named Fawad, who lives in the town of Kabul in Afghanistan with his mother, Mariya. This child has witnessed more horror and brutality in his eleven short years than some of us have in our entire lives. The lives of his father and brother have

been taken by the evil regime that gripped the country for so many years, and his sister was similarly abducted. Learning this information early on in a tale should be enough to deter most readers, but by this stage I was strangely hooked. I wanted to know more about this poor boy, and what became of him and his mother.

Our first spell of hope comes after the first few chapters, when Fawad’s mother finds a job as a housekeeper for a friendly western woman, Georgie, could this be a way out of living in misery for the boy and his mother. However the feeling is short lived when Fawad discovers his ‘beloved’ Georgie is caught up in a dangerous relationship with Afghan warlord Haji Khan. As the story progresses we start to learn more about this mysterious figure, and what he is capable of.

Whilst living within the compound of the western journalists house in Afghanistan, Fawad and his mother form friendships with all of the people living there. This for me turned this story from one of hardship and horror into a tale of love and friendship. As I started to read more I felt more connected to each one of the characters, and in a sense the country of Afghanistan itself. We learn that Georgie is working with Afghan farmers to teach them about the incredible value of their goats cashmere wool, and the methods used to obtain such wool.

Love is shown throughout this book in a number of different forms, from the Love between a man and a woman. Or the love between a ...

• Born Under A Million Shadows by Andrea Busfield, book
      boy and his mother, even the love Fawad shows for his country is expressed a number of times throughout the book. This for me was the most touching element of the story. My eyes were opened in a way to the many different forms love can present itself to us in life, and also the many ways in which life can so quickly take that love from us; living an dark empty void that can never be filled. I was shocked at how a country that has seen some of the most terrible things, could hold such beauty and promise in a way that we can’t even imagine here in western culture. The story continues in this up and down manner, of love and fear; hope and despair, leaving us ever guessing what could
      possibly happen next. Good deeds seem to appear from the most unlikely of places as we watch a confused young boy struggling to make sense of all the terrible things that happen in life.

Upon finishing Born Under A Million Shadows, I was both astonished and fulfilled. The ending was possibly the best ending of a book I have ever read. Every character displays the full spectrum of human emotion throughout the book, but all of these emotions are expressed at once in the final few chapters. I won’t spoil the ending for you, all I will say is that this was an incredibly thrilling yet informative read that doesn’t fail to deliver in excitement in it’s climax. When you finally think all is lost, one final slither of hope and love is shown in an eye-watering final chapter.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1714061611920830/k2311a0614/6.14.13