The Hunger Games (movie)
  • When I saw the trailer first, a part of me expected that it was going to be a lot like the Twilight franchise, which I hated, since I noticed at the time that a quite a bit of the Twilight fans I knew seemed to be encouraging me and other people to go and see it in the theatres
  • In fact, I thought the movie was so good for a genre such as science fiction, that my only regret was not seeing it in theatres when it came out
  • I had absolutely no problem understanding the characters, the environments they lived in, the settings of the movie and the conflicts the characters were presented with
  • Therefore, I thought that this gave evidence to great a great writer or writers as well as a very good director
  • I most definitely would not recommend it to children, especially those beneath a certain age, since it contains a lot of violence which I think some might try to emulate

• by Redtape

One of the films that I remember underestimating the most last year was the movie “The Hunger Games”. When I saw the trailer first, a part of me expected that it was going to be a lot like the Twilight franchise, which I hated, since I noticed at the time that a quite a bit of the Twilight fans I knew seemed to be encouraging me and other people to go and see it in the theatres. To make things worse, I had even less faith in the movie since I never actually heard about and read the book before the movie came out. It was actually extreme boredom one day at the beginning of 2013 that forced me to watch the movie, and I have not regretted it. In fact, I thought the movie was so good for a genre such as science fiction, that my only regret was not seeing it in theatres when it came out.

The movie

“The Hunger Games”, which is actually based on a book of the same name, is set in a post-apocalyptic future in a country called Pandem that is assumed to be the United States in a very distant future. Pandem is divided into a wealthy capital and twelve significantly poorer districts where the populations live in almost severe poverty, especially compared to the lifestyles of those who live within the capital. It was this extreme disparity in living and lack of social mobility that caused many of the people in these poorer districts to rebel and start a war years before the events of the movie. However as a result of a lack of resources, the people living in the capital were victorious, and those in the poorer districts were forced to settle with a brutal “punishment”. This punishment eventually became an annual tradition called “The Reaping” where a boy and girl of a certain age from each of the poorer
      districts were chosen as competitors for the hunger games, not very different from the gladiatorial games in the arenas of ancient Rome. These televised “games” consist of each of these tributes from the poorer districts fighting to the death where the only survivor would be rewarded with a lifetime of wealth and fame.

The movie focuses on the story of Katniss Everdean, a teenager from District 12 who volunteers as a tribute for the Hunger Games in place of her younger sister, who is chosen to represent the district. It is Katniss’ astounding athletic ability, personality, prowess and determination that causes her, along with a teenage boy from her district to overcome severe challenges and become the official winners of the year’s games.

The first thing that I loved about the movie was the very creative and original storyline and how it was effectively captured with the movie without being too confusing. The thing that I absolutely can’t stand about a ...

• The Hunger Games (movie)
      lot of science fiction movies and even television series, is that I sometimes feel like I’m dealing with information overload when the movie tries to introduce a lot of very new concepts, environments and ideas to me the viewer. A lot of them have writing that seems to cram a lot of the information into the movie and I generally end up becoming confused and eventually move on to something else. This was not the case with “Hunger Games”. I had absolutely no problem understanding the characters, the environments they lived in, the settings of the movie and the conflicts the characters were presented with. Therefore, I thought that this gave evidence to great a great writer or writers as well as a very good director.

The next thing that I liked about the plot was that it was suspenseful especially as the movie progressed into the actual games where Katniss was injured and being hunted. I thought that the shock

of the entire situation of children killing other children where others watched for the sake of entertainment was one of the things that added to the movie’s suspense. While on the other hand, the suspense also resulted from watching Katniss Everdeen literally fight for her life while being hunted by a group of bloodthirsty and sadistic children.

I also appreciated the acting, which I thought was pretty good coming from a lot of unknown child actors. While most of it wasn’t superb, I thought that many of them, especially those playing the teenage psychopaths who grouped together and were hunting Katniss during the games, did a splendid job in making their characters memorable.

I would recommend the movie The Hunger Games to not just science fiction audiences, but all adult movie audiences on a whole. I most definitely would not recommend it to children, especially those beneath a certain age, since it contains a lot of violence which I think some might try to emulate.

The Hunger Games (movie)
stephanie says :

Tbh: i LOVED the book. LOVED LoVED LOVED it It was soo great. However the movie was soo borning and slow in the book we had more the chacters thoughts and personalty we also were able to know what their thoughts were in the book. In the movie we dont.really get a great sence of the main chacters.my friends agree tie was borning af

Moh Gob says :

Same thing with The Twilight Saga, I think all of the readers would agree, it’s never the same when you read a book and watch it as a movie, but I also liked the fact that the heros came to life and you could actually see them.

Bikram Sapkota says :

I loved it too.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1114061611740830/k2311a0614/6.14.13