Banquet Homestyle Bakes: Lasagna
  • Personally, I enjoy cooking meals from scratch, but sometimes when I'm short on time and need a quick and easy alternative other than takeout or fast food, I turn to Easy meal kits
  • In the end, I enjoyed the simplicity of this meal, and to an extent the flavor
  • I can say I would recommend this to a friend, who want something easy and quick and doesn't mind the lacking taste of a boxed meal

• by nitakb

Personally, I enjoy cooking meals from scratch, but sometimes when I’m short on time and need a quick and easy alternative other than takeout or fast food, I turn to Easy meal kits. Banquet is one of the brands that offer these kinds wonderful creations. This meal kit is called Banquet Homestyle Bakes: Lasagna. Now, many people prefer to make their own lasagna from scratch, traditionally, and so do I. But with many traditional recipes, they take a ton of ingredients and time that sometimes none of us people have. That’s when meal kits like Banquet Homestyle Bakes comes in handy.

On box it says that preparation is five minutes on either oven or stove top. Everything you’ll need to make this lasagna is in the box. In this box, there are two cans of Lasagna Meat

sauce and one pouch of curly pasta. The only other thing you need is a ½ cup of water. I will say, that this isn’t your traditional lasagna with gooey cheese and is stacked and baked beautifully together. To me its’ more of a hamburger helper kind of dish, since the lasagna noodles aren’t exactly layer with stuff.

There are two different types of preparations, oven and stove top. I opted out for the stove top preparation. There are also a total of four complete steps to making this meal. The first step is to basically stir in the meat sauce and water into a ten- inch skillet. The next is to stir in the curly pasta and they are covered in coated in the meat sauce and water mixture, and heat the skillet so that the

contents start to boil. The next, is to reduce heat, cover the skillet and let simmer for like fifteen minutes or basically until the noodles are tender. Make sure to stir occasionally. That last step is to stir until well blended and let stand for about five minutes or until the sauce thickens.

So in a sense it’s actually a twenty minute meal, if you add the fifteen minutes it took the cook the noodles and the five minutes it took for the sauce to thicken. It’s possibly more, depending on personal settings. I feel that the five minute preparation label on the front is misleading. I suppose it better than saying ‘Ready in thirty minutes’.

The lasagna itself didn’t taste bad at all. I mean, without the cheese I was expecting for to be a little bland ...

• Banquet Homestyle Bakes: Lasagna
      but honestly it wasn’t. I will say that the sauce is tad sweet, not sugary but enough for you to notice. Although, I do feel that they could have toned it down with sodium and added a little more flavor with different spices. But with a meal that’s basically meat sauce and noodles, you can expect this. I will say this concoction in a box doesn’t beat fresh ingredients.

There is enough to serve four people in this box. A serving size is about one cup when cooked, and is a total of three-hundred and ten calories, with ninety being from fat. Six hundred and forty milligrams of sodium, a surprising six hundred and eight milligrams of potassium. And forty-two grams of carbs. Thirteen grams of sugar and thirteen grams of protein. Not too bad

but not the greatest considering the ingredients list is a short story in itself. If you’re watching your carb intake, I would say stay away from this and just the traditional route of making your own lasagna with healthier, fresher ingredients.

In the end, I enjoyed the simplicity of this meal, and to an extent the flavor. Honestly, it could have been better, but considering its a box meal, I can live with the results. Although the next time I buy this, if I ever do so again, I’m going to be to adding my own spices and of course some shredded cheese and ground meat to the mix. Like the box basically suggested.

I can say I would recommend this to a friend, who want something easy and quick and doesn’t mind the lacking taste of a boxed meal.

shayna says :

I think cooking homemade or getting a healthier option would be better.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2712061611510730/k2311a0612/6.12.13