L’Oreal Hydrafresh Anti-Shine Icy Gel  » Cosmetics  »
  • So I bought the product despite it being 3-4 dollars more expensive than my usual Aqua Essence gel
  • Later on, I found out that the gel is supposed to contain several deep sea minerals which are good for your skin
  • No problem of clumping that I sometimes had with cream moisturizers
  • Unfortunately, the mattifying effect only lasts a few hours

• by Melissa

Before using this moisturizer, I had been a faithful user of L’Oreal Hydrafresh All Day Hydration Aqua Essence.

I guess I have a thing for its translucent green gel in a glass jar. Just looking at the gel makes me feel so calm, as if I was relaxing by the a clear stream watching the water flow. So, when a new variant of the product came onto the market, I was intrigued to try.

What drew me towards this Anti-Shine Icy Gel is the promise of a icy-cooling feel and a mattifying effect. I live in tropical Singapore with temperatures above 30 degrees Celcius almost every single day, accompanied by insane humidity that drives my skin crazy all the time. I have a very oily T-zone and normal (bordering on dry)

cheeks. So, I warmly welcome the addition of the anti-shine properties. The promised icy cooling effect, I imagined, was perfect for my situation. So I bought the product despite it being 3-4 dollars more expensive than my usual Aqua Essence gel.

When I opened the L’Oreal’s beautiful signature glass jar, I really loved the refreshing fragrance of the gel. It reminds me of the ocean breeze (I am serious!). Later on, I found out that the gel is supposed to contain several deep sea minerals which are good for your skin. Now, that makes sense. I have always loved the subtle but refreshing scents of this moisturizer line anyway. Some people may dislike the scent though, as it is not your usual floral or creamy/buttery scent. It is a scent that is so light and refreshing, which I have not found in any other products.

The gel is also very easy to apply. The texture is very light and smooth. Just a small amount at the tip of my finger is sufficient to cover my entire face due to its light texture. It spreads easily and evenly, too. No problem of clumping that I sometimes had with cream moisturizers. After application, the moisturizer immediately gets absorbed into my skin and makes it feel a lot more refreshed, hydrated and supple!

Just a few seconds afterwards, I couldn’t feel any extra film or layer on my face, which is great. Because of this, I used the gel moisturizer to prime my face before applying foundation and make up. It does help my make-up ...

• L'Oreal Hydrafresh Anti-Shine Icy Gel
      to stay longer, somehow, I guess because my skin became less oily and the foundation sits more evenly.

When I applied the gel, my face also felt a little minty sensation. I guess this is what the icy cooling effect was about. It feels nice and I don’t mind it. The claim that this product is suitable for hot and humid climate certainly holds true. However, the sensation is very brief, so it hardly does anything to cool you off for the rest of the day, if that is what you are expecting.

Unfortunately, the mattifying effect only lasts a few hours. Usually after 5 or 6 hours, my face will become very very shiny, even more shiny than usual, if I don’t put on foundation on top of it! I don’t

know why is that…maybe my skin is just too oily that the mattifying effect no longer works after some time. My skin stays nice and matte when I put on a foundation and make up on top, though.

All in all, this anti-shine icy gel is awesome for someone who lives in the hot-and-humid tropics like me. However, if you dislike minty scent or minty sensation, please stay away from this. One of the downside is that it is not moisturizing enough in very dry climate (I tried using it while travelling in the semi-desert part of India during summer), but it is certainly made for hot and humid climate, as what the packaging claims. I am very satisfied and I have been using this moisturizer for more than a year, until now.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 317061611270730/k2311a067/6.7.13