Smith’s 9-inch Oval Ceramic Sharpening Rod
  • However, at least one negative thing about this sharpening rod I noticed about it is that it wears out after use
  • Even with light to moderate use, this sharpener will wear out faster than it should, in my opinion
  • Granted, this isn't the best knife sharpener you can get but it also definitely isn't the worst either
  • I wouldn't recommend using this particular sharpener for serrated blades, though
  • As much as I use my sharpener, I have to replace mine every year or two to get my knife as sharp as I like to keep it

• by Brett Huguenard

There are both positives and negatives with this knife sharpener. The good things about this sharpening rod is that it’s fairly affordable, does a great job of actually sharpening a knife bladed, and is easy to use. However, at least one negative thing about this sharpening rod I noticed about it is that it wears out after use. Even with light to moderate use, this sharpener will wear out faster than it should, in my opinion. Don’t let this deter you from getting one, though, because it’s still worth it, especially if

you carry and use a pocket knife like I do.

This particular sharpening rod is only about $10 or $12 to buy, making it affordable for what you get. Granted, this isn’t the best knife sharpener you can get but it also definitely isn’t the worst either. It will eventually wear out but it does do an excellent job of sharpening blades. Even for a fine-edge blade, the grit of ceramic sharpening rod is fine enough to do a good job, making the blade very sharp without leaving burrs or an uneven edge.

I wouldn’t recommend using this particular sharpener for serrated blades, though.

Smith’s oval ceramic sharpening rod is excellent for sharpening straight-edge knife blades. Primarily for pocket knives, I sharpen my knife using this every week to every month depending on how much I use the knife. Once I have a dull blade that hardly cuts things anymore, I’ll only spend just a minute or two using this sharpening rod to get the blade back to a sharp and usable edge on the knife. This sharpener is also very easy to use. Just hold ...

• Smith's 9-inch Oval Ceramic Sharpening Rod
      the handle in one hand, the knife in the other, and repeatedly stroke the blade edge along the ceramic rod about 20-30 times to restore the knife blade nearly back to its original, very sharp edge.

The only drawback of this sharpener is that the ceramic sharpening surface of the sharpening rod will eventually wear out after use. As much as I use my sharpener, I have to replace mine every year or two to get my knife as sharp as I like to keep it. However, I use my knife quite a bit so the results may be better for you depending on how much you use it. All things considered, this is a decent knife sharpener and will do a good job for any pocket knife that you may have. Smith’s is a trusted name when it comes to knife sharpeners which is why I picked mine out and it has proven what I expect out of it, I just wish it wouldn’t wear out so fast. Although, this could be because of how much I use it and how hard I press when sharpening my knives.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5328051610590431/k2311a0528/5.28.13