REI Classic Dog Pack  » Pets  »
  • I like to walk a lot and my dogs like to come along with me on my walks

• by Alpha2Zulu

I like to walk a lot and my dogs like to come along with me on my walks. One of the things that has been bugging me a lot is wanting to keep my hands free as well as my pockets because a lot of stuff in my running pants tended to pull my pants down at my waist and I was forever pulling them up. My brother suggested buying a pack for the dog, kinda like a doggy back pack where I can stash my stuff. I headed to the local outdoor equipment store and found the REI Classic Dog Pack which was the perfect price and a good size to carry what

I needed and for the dog.

This pack is large enough to carry small first aid items, extra sunscreen wipes, a couple treats for the dog, doggie bags and other small doodads that I might need. I put a bottle of water in there and a tube of bug spray and to test out and there was plenty of room left over for more items. The actual pack has zipper closures so you can trust that everything will be safe and stay put where you’ve placed it. The packs are top loading so you can quickly access the things that you are storing while you are walking without worrying about stuff falling out of the sides of the bottom while you are digging around.

The Dog Pack comes with two large pockets, one on each side of the dogs body, so make sure you weigh down the packs equally when you are using them. There is a chest strap and an around the back of the dog strap which helps keep everything in place and prevents the bags from flipping under the dogs body or leaving one on the back and the other pack under the belly. All of the straps and the area under the packs is padded so that you don’t need to worry about the comfort of the dog. The packs are also made from mesh so ...

• REI Classic Dog Pack
      that they are breathable and don’t cause the dog to overheat or sweat. There are sturdy plastic harness buckles that easily snap into place and haven’t shown much wear at all over the last two months that we have been using ours.

At first my dog was not happy about wearing the pack when we would head out for our walks and kept trying to shake it off. To prevent this behavior I started placing the pack on the dog during the days, when we were at home just to help him get used to it. After a week of doing this at random times he was ready to put the pack on whenever I

came around with it and he didn’t even pay attention to it anymore.

Couple things I really liked where that true to the rest of its product line, REI used 100% post consumer recycled materials for this product. The other thing I liked was the price, this comes from a very well known brand name that is known for quality products and it was comparable or less than other brands that I had never heard of with products that were not made with the environment in mind. I can’t wait to take a longer hike through the woods where the dog can carry all his own supplies with this pack. It is large enough for weekend jaunts.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2921051610230731/k2311a0521/5.21.13