Wolf 9mm Ammunition  » Other  »
1.5
  • This incident was my first experience with Wolf ammunition, but unfortunately, not my last
  • Definitely not as noticeable as the misfires with this brand, but gun jams were also quite more frequent with this ammunition as well
  • In my opinion, Wolf ammunition is simply not worth the hassle

• by Brett Huguenard

I first tried Wolf Ammunition a few years ago for a handgun I purchased on my 21st birthday. Because of the very affordable price and my ignorance at the time of ammunition brands, I made the mistake of buying 4 boxes of Wolf 9mm ammunition to test fire my new handgun with. When I test fired the handgun with the Wolf ammo, about 1 in 4 rounds of it were duds. For those who may be new to firearms or ammunition, this is a very terrible ratio. Granted, I could pick up and reload the dud ammunition and put it back into the magazine and try firing it again, and usually it would

work then, but the reliability of the ammo was not good at all. It was very frustrating test firing my new handgun with this ammo. I can’t imagine depending on Wolf ammunition to save your life when it was necessary, which was why I purchased the handgun in the first place since I had just recently gotten my concealed carry permit.

A success ratio of 3 to 4 shots of an ammunition is horrible, simply put. This incident was my first experience with Wolf ammunition, but unfortunately, not my last. I later purchased more Wolf ammunition, this time buying 7.62×39mm for my AK-47. With similar results, but this time with a slightly better success ratio of about 5 to 6 shots, this was still quite unacceptable to me. Most ammunition, even cheap and ‘low quality’ brands will at least have a successful fire ratio of 9 to 10. With any other ammunition I fired, which was usually Federal of Remington brand, I would very rarely get misfires or duds, sometimes not even any at all.

The one positive aspect of Wolf ammunition is that it’s very affordable. I purchased the Wolf 9mm ammunition for about $6 per box, about half the price of a decent and better-known brand. Definitely not as noticeable as the misfires with this brand, but gun jams were also quite more frequent with this ...

• Wolf 9mm Ammunition
      ammunition as well. Gun jams are typically rare with firearms and ammunition of the modern day, but with Wolf ammunition, they seem to occur with about 1 in 10 shots. This can also be quite frustrating, always having to remove jams from the firearm, which can sometimes be quite difficult depending on the particular situation.

Something else that is also very undesirable about Wolf ammunition is that it is very dirty. Some of the older but still available ammunition of Wolf has a lacquer coating, which causes problems firing, let alone leaving the firearm very contaminated with the lacquer left over inside the barrel and mechanism of the gun after firing. Needless to say,

after firing 4 boxes of this ammunition with my handgun, it was extremely dirty and took a couple hours to clean it well, back to the condition where I felt comfortable using the pistol again.

In my opinion, Wolf ammunition is simply not worth the hassle. Even though it comes with a very affordable price tag, the simply sacrifice of all the frustration with using this ammunition is simply not worth it. Stick with a better brand, preferably an American-made brand like Federal or Remington. While these are not top of the line brands, they rarely have misfires or jams. They also shoot much more cleaner than Wolf, extending the overall life of the firearm firing the ammunition.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1213051609700831/k2311a0513/5.13.13