The Hunger Games, 2012 PG-13 movie  » Movies  »
  • My boyfriend and I decided to watch The Hunger Games on Netflix this weekend because we both read and loved the book and hadn't seen the movie yet
  • First off, I thought the character choices were great
  • I think the movie followed the book pretty well, if not exactly
  • It was done in a very classy way and I was happy to see that while PG13 rated movies are rarely actually appropriate (in my opinion) for 13 year olds, this fit just fine
  • The Hunger Games definitely lived up to the hype that was surrounding it

• by Meg

My boyfriend and I decided to watch The Hunger Games on Netflix this weekend because we both read and loved the book and hadn’t seen the movie yet. First off, I thought the character choices were great. Jennifer Lawrence is almost exactly as I had pictured Katniss in the book, as well as Willow Sheilds, who played Prim. I also thought Lenny Kravitz was a risky but great casting choice for Cinna, Katniss’ stylist for the games.

I think the movie followed the book pretty well,

if not exactly. I was a little surprised when the movie showed the Capitol and those who lived there. They were much more elaborate and lavish than I expected and in a different way.

These characters had wild face paintings and makeup, multi colored hair, jewelry and clothes. I’m not sure if that’s because maybe I didn’t pay attention to this detail when reading the book or if Suzanne Collins (the author of the book) didn’t do a great job describing this aspect. As the movie progressed, I appreciated how exact the scenery in the movie was to the book.

When you’re a fan of a book and you go to see the movie, it can completely ruin it if it’s not what you expected. I really felt like the pictures that were in my head while I was reading the book ended up in screen, as if the directors stole these images from my head and made them a reality for the movie. I also really appreciated that the movie wasn’t gore-focused at all.

The whole idea of the Hunger ...

• The Hunger Games, 2012 PG-13 movie
      Games is very brutal, and the directors found a way to very tastefully portray that this blood bath was happening without actually being graphic. It was done in a very classy way and I was happy to see that while PG13 rated movies are rarely actually appropriate (in my opinion) for 13 year olds, this fit just fine. I felt the movie ended rather quickly, however.

I don’t remember feeling this way when reading the book. But the movie seemed to fly through the actual Games part. When I was reading

the book, I really felt like Katniss and Peeta were stuck in the arena for the full two weeks.

In the movie, I would say that was the shortest part! It seemed that the movie was slow moving in the beginning and then quickly climaxed and ended. The Hunger Games definitely lived up to the hype that was surrounding it. The movie is enjoyable for everyone and although the flow seemed a little disoriented (i.

e. slow moving compared to how quickly it ended), I was never bored during it.

Miranda Melvin says :

I watched this movie with a friend and it was great. Missing a lot from the book, but that was expected.

shaggin83 says :

I think that it went along with the book pretty well but if I hadent read the book first I would have been a bit confused about what was going on in the movie.

Rey Jean Medel says :

The movie was made to be even more appealing and interesting, the book serves as the guide for their movie the director prefer not to copy the whole story to make a unique movie. Just like any other movie, it was to show what the story is all about not to plot each and every events written on the book. I also love the movie it just shows how food should be valued.

Jannatul Nayeem says :

Hunger Was Not That Bad i Think ,Though It Didn’t Followed The Book Completely .

mrgoldopinion says :

It was an adaption of the book but in order to make it more appealing to audience it was modified.

Kipley says :

No movie can follow the book completely. It’s just impossible to fit a few hundred pages of story into a two hour film. I think the directors did a great job with the limits they had.

Mindy Simms says :

I bought this movie right off because I just knew that I would like it. I do think that the people they picked for the cast are pretty dead on. I really enjoyed Woody Harelsons part in the movie. In all honesty I will be one of those people who buy every one of these movies as they come out just because they are so different than most mainstream movies today.

Somilia Smith says :

I didn’t read the book but I enjoyed the movie.

Grace says :

The book and the movie were actually very different.

Arielqiao says :

At first, the movie makes me feel cruel. When Katniss takes the place of her young sister to be the tribute, I felt moved, and I was so worried about her future fate. However, the director of the movie spends too much time to shoot the preparation of the game. When all the tributes are in the game, it seems, in my view, the competion between them is not so cruel. The plot at this point is not so attractive.

By the way, I like the music in Hunger Game very much.

Kesang-Tshering-Bhutia says :

re : The Hunger Games definitely lived up to the hype that was surrounding it

I believe the movie was a huge letdown for an ardent fan of the book trilogy like me. If the 1st book was a 4/5 the movie was a 2/5. I feel certain aspects of the novel should have been kept intact. I think overall, the movie was imbalanced.

Aimee says :

re : The Hunger Games definitely lived up to the hype that was surrounding it

I agree Hunger Games was an excellent movie. I was a little concerned that they wouldn’t be able to pull off a story that included killing a bunch of children but they were tasteful and interesting in the way they made the movie.

Stacy says :

Wow…I just really loved The Hunger Games. I mean the books themselves devastated me, but I read them back to back and really liked them. The movie, which generally is never as good as the books, was fantastic.

Jennifer Lawrence is always going to be my Katniss now. Plus as an actress I just love her. The whole cast was amazing. It was a nice change of pace for some movies and books that focus solely on a romantic element. The Hunger Games had the romance, but it wasn’t to main focus.

Kevin says :

re : My boyfriend and I decided to watch The Hunger Games on Netflix this weekend because we both read and loved the book and hadn’t seen the movie yet

I did not read the book prior to seeing the movie, however, I truly enjoyed the film. I think the filmmakers did a wonderful job of making it easy to believe a very surreal culture. The film really pulled me in and got me interested in the entire society surrounding the games. Worth seeing even if you haven’t read the books

Kipley says :

I think the directors for the Hunger Games did a great job of staying true to the feel of the novels. Does anyone know why they changed directors for Catching Fire?

Alexei Belicov says :

Those were the official words by Gary Ross about his decision not to film the secod part of the trilogy:

Despite recent speculation in the media, and after difficult but sincere consideration, I have decided not to direct Catching Fire. As a writer and a director, I simply don t have the time I need to write and prep the movie I would have wanted to make because of the fixed and tight production schedule”.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1110051609510331/k2311a0510/5.10.13