How to read people like a book: 50 uncommon tips you need to know, book by Murray Oxman  » Books  »
0.5
  • I disagree with the author on many points

• by Francis

I have read the book ‘How to read people like a book: 50 uncommon tips you need to know’ written by Murray Oxman. I did not like this book. This book is a short book and so, it can be read fast. I disagree with the author on many points. I could not find anything helpful in this book.

Just as the title says, the book speaks about how to read people like a book. The author says that we have to be very careful around people and observe them. Then we can understand what people really

mean when they thank us or when they apologize. The author has given several ideas in this book. In my opinion, all these ideas are poor. I strongly disagree that we can actually read anybody’s minds. I am of the firm opinion that it is not possible to understand what exactly anybody is thinking.

Upon reading this book, I tried to put some of it into practice. However, I did not get any results. It was not possible for me to read anybody like a book. In other words, it was impossible for me to know what anybody was thinking. Upon observing intensely, I could say with certainty that the counter salesman at the dress shop was not interested in his job, but I never could imagine what was going on in his mind, what he was thinking about. I also could not say what type of a person he actually was. People are often unpredictable. On that particular day, something might have happened that had made him lose interest in his job. But on the next day, there is every possibility that he would gain interest in his job. The man ...

• How to read people like a book: 50 uncommon tips you need to know, book by Murray Oxman
      who spoke pleasantly today might not speak pleasantly tomorrow. Therefore, observing people helps us to know what they are for that moment only. It does not help us to label a person as good or bad, jovial or unpleasant etc…

From this book, I also got the idea that all people are selfish and are after something when they speak pleasantly to me. However, this is a wrong idea. All people are not selfish. When somebody speaks pleasantly to me, that does not necessarily mean he is after something.

In my opinion, this book is really poor.

Certain pages in this book made me feel as if I would go mad if I went on trying to read people and judge their characters or try to understand what they thought. After putting some of the book into practice, I just stopped it and just forgot about the book. I have to say that this book actually made me feel heavy and I started feeling light again when I stopped following the instructions in the book. According to me, this book is a real waste of time. I will rate it 1 point out of 10.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 179051609430431/k2311a059/5.9.13