Dell Ultra Sharp U3011 30″ Monitor
  • I bought a Dell Ultra Sharp U3011 30 inches monitor for my office
  • The first thing I noticed was a little bit of reduction in the resolution, that is indeed obvious
  • I know text size can be increased on Windows and Mac, but I am talking about my editing job which needs precision
  • And my experience also shows that little bit less pixel per inch is in fact better
  • It definitely helps in controlling the weight of the device, but it doesn't look good

• by Galega

I bought a Dell Ultra Sharp U3011 30 inches monitor for my office. Previously I was having Dell U2711 which was also good, but I required better image quality. I invested in it because I needed a good product for video and photo editing job. After using it for around five months, I can say that I am thrilled and ecstatic for what it has offered me.

The image quality of this Dell monitor is simply fabulous. Previously I had Dell U2711 which I am no longer using for photo and video editing. This monitor comes with an aspect ratio of

16:10 (Dell U2711 had aspect ratio of 16:9) which ensures impeccable image output. I should mention here another technical aspects, that is pixels per inch. Dell U2711 provided 109 pixels per inch which this monitor offers 101 pixels per inch. The nature of my job, editing of images and videos, compelled me to think about this. Initially, I was little bit concerned because of this. Will the low pixels per inch will lead to ‘not-so-optimum’ image quality. However, my personal research had shown this monitor as better and hence I bought it. But what about low pixels per inch. The first thing
      I noticed was a little bit of reduction in the resolution, that is indeed obvious. The decrease in resolution is 8%. That doesn’t make any difference in my work. Moreover, the low pixels per inch makes the text size optimum. I know text size can be increased on Windows and Mac, but I am talking about my editing job which needs precision. And my experience also shows that little bit less pixel per inch is in fact better. I should mention here that still the resolution available is among the best in the industry for this size of monitor. It offers me ...

• Dell Ultra Sharp U3011 30
      a resolution of 2560 x 1600 which is great for my professional work.

This Dell monitor boasts of good colour gamut. Further I can easily calibrate the colour without any problems. In all, what I get is good quality image.

The connection options available with it is huge. There is USB, separate port for speaker, DVI-D and HDMI, among others. Is there any need of so many connection options for a professional monitor? I will say, yes. At least for me, the availability of wide connectivity options ease my work and lead to a convenient handling of work with less clutter.

Another thing

I noticed is the weight. It is quite light. I can’t recall the exact measurement of weight, but still it is better than my previous Dell monitor. Further, the heat produced by this monitor is quite low. With less heat emission, I can work for longer duration without any discomfort.

I should note here that the monitor bezel is made of lightweight plastic. It definitely helps in controlling the weight of the device, but it doesn’t look good. Apart from this, I wish Dell would have thought a bit about the start up time which is a bit high than what I had expected.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 167051609180331/k2311a057/5.7.13