Super Mario Galaxy
  • I bought this Wii game because I read several good reviews about it and I've always enjoyed the Mario series of games, but when I played this game, it fell far short of my expectations for many reasons
  • In my opinion, it doesn't really follow the classic 'Super Mario' style of play
  • I found this game to be very complicated and cumbersome to play
  • I will admit that the game does have some of the best graphics I've ever seen in a Wii game, which is what I read in several reviews before I bought the game

• by Brett Huguenard

I bought this Wii game because I read several good reviews about it and I’ve always enjoyed the Mario series of games, but when I played this game, it fell far short of my expectations for many reasons.

I would say this game isn’t for everyone. I’ll be quite blunt in this review. In my opinion, it doesn’t

really follow the classic ‘Super Mario’ style of play. I found this game to be very complicated and cumbersome to play. The camera views aren’t great and sometimes your even looking at the world at extreme angles or even completely upside-down.

I also think this game is fairly cheesy in the way it plays, the storyline, characters, and cinematics. Seeming almost as if this game was envisioned and created by a bunch of kindergarten children, the plot itself is quite cheesy and the reasons why things are the way they are in the game is silly.

Also, the game boasts a 2-player option, but this is very misleading. The only thing the second player can do ...

• Super Mario Galaxy
      is shoot the stars at things that the primary player collects up in the game, and the first player gets to do almost all of the work and gameplay.

I will admit that the game does have some of the best graphics I’ve ever seen in a Wii game, which is what I read in several reviews before

I bought the game; that part was accurate. I also find this game to be quite confusing to play and figure out what to do next, which is another reason I get so frustrated within just minutes of beginning to play it. As far as Mario games go, this is by far been the biggest disappointment of the series I’ve ever played.

Super Mario Galaxy
Matthew Osime says :

This game is a fun game for almost all age groups. I remember playing this game when it came out a few years ago and I thought it was the best Mario game out due to its three-dimentional graphics. I found myself playing the game everyday after school. So my opinion is that this game is a fun game to play no matter what age and is very occupying.

Brett Huguenard replies :

Yeah, you may have a point. It’s just a bit to modern and confusing to me. But again, I am used to the older Super Mario-style of games from the 1990’s, such as Super Mario World or even Super Mario Bros. Wii as these have that type of gaming that I grew up playing and loved.

Leigh says :

It’s not supposed to be exactly the same as every other SMB game out there, it’s supposed to be new and different. Ever since the success of SMB 64, people have been wanting another 3D Mario game, and this is Nintendo’s answer to those requests. In my eyes, they did a great job keeping all of the things we all love so much about Mario and effectively creating something entirely new and very different from what we’re used to. My only complaint is the multiplayer, which is terrible and not even worth it.

Brett Huguenard replies :

Personally, I think they changed the classic Super Mario style of play quite a bit with this game, going to a much more 3-dementional setting and a space-themed world, thus making the graphics much better with this, but I like the classic Super Mario games better. I definitely agree with you about the multiplayer, though… Terrible

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 283051609020331/k2311a053/5.3.13